Settlement Planning for Refugees: Australia and the United States
The resettlement of refugees from humanitarian crises globally is managed by each host nation according to the overarching policies of, and in consultation with, the UNHCR. Such policies have a significant impact on settlement planning and thus on resettlement outcomes.
KeywordsSocial Housing Integration Policy Family Reunion Social Work Practice Dispersal Policy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abraham, N., and Martin, J. (2014). Cultural Safety with New and Emerging Communities: Older Refugee Experiences of Health and Welfare Services in Australia. In H. K. Ling, J. Martin, and R. Ow (Eds.), Cross-Cultural Social Work. Local and Global. South Yarra: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- AMES Research and Policy Unit. (2011). Regional Settlement: An Analysis of Four Settlement Locations in Victoria. Melbourne: AMES.Google Scholar
- DeSouza, R. (2004). Working with Refugees and Migrants. In D. Wepa (Ed.), Cultural Safety in Aotearoa New Zealand (pp. 122–133). Auckland: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Marks, J. A. (2014). Rural Refugee Resettlement: Secondary Migration and Community Integration in Fort Morgan, Colorado. Geneva: UNHCR Policy Development and Evaluation Service.Google Scholar
- McDonald, B., Gifford, S., Webster, K., Wiseman, J., and Casey, S. (2008). Refugee Resettlement in Regional and Rural Victoria: Impacts and Policy Issues. Melbourne: Vic Health.Google Scholar
- Ridderbos, K. (2007). Last Hope. The Need for Durable Solutions for Bhutanese Refugees in Nepal and India. Human Rights Watch, 19 (7), 1–90.Google Scholar
- Sharp, M. (2005). Regional Refugee Settlement Support Requirements: Measure for the Meaningful Assessment of Service Need. Hopes Fulfilled or Dreams Shattered? From Resettlement to Settlement Conference, 23–28 November 2005, University of NSW.Google Scholar
- Sivamalai, S., and Nsubuga-Kyobe, A. (2009). Towards Developing Personal Attributes in “New” Migrants: A Case Study of Capacity Building for Rural Australia. International Unity in Diversity Conference. People, the Workforce and the Future of Australia, August 12–14, 2009, Townsville, Australia. (Unpublished)Google Scholar
- UNHCR. (2011). UNHCR Resettlement Handbook. Geneva: UNHCR.Google Scholar
- Vasey, K. (2011). Regionalising Immigration — Some Reflections on the Experiences of Iraqi Refugees. Human Rights Defender, 20 (2), 5–8.Google Scholar