Resettlement Perspectives of Bhutanese Refugees: A Place Called Home with a Future
Having fled from their homeland in the 1990s, around 108,000 Lhotsampa from Bhutan found refuge in the seven camps of eastern Nepal. Some have been there for more than two decades now (UNHCR, 2013). The Lhotsampa had been forced to leave after the Royal Government of Bhutan had imposed several decrees depriving them of basic citizen’s rights—right to nationality, right to freedom of language, right to representation, and similar other rights (Rai, 2013).
KeywordsRefugee Camp Bilateral Talk Identity Crisis Resettlement Program Distant Land
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Acharya, J. (2001, June). “Bhutanese Refugee Verification: Serious Commitment or a Time-Buying Tactic?” FOCUS 24.Google Scholar
- Banki, S. (2008). Bhutanese Refugees in Nepal: Anticipating the Impact of Resettlement. University of Sydney.Google Scholar
- Charmaz, K. (2009). “Shifting the Grounds: Constructivist Grounded Theory Methods for the Twenty-first Century,” in J. Morse, P. Stern, J. Corbin, B. Bowers, K. Charmaz, & A. Clarke, Developing Grounded Theory: The Second Generation, Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.Google Scholar
- Kharat, R. S. (2003). “Bhutanese Refugees in Nepal: Survival and Prospects.” Economic and Political Weekly 38: 285–289.Google Scholar
- Murphy, E. and Dingwall, R. (2003). Qualitative Methods and Health Policy Research. New York: Aldine deGruyter.Google Scholar
- Newar, N. (2010, June). “Ethnic Nepali Refugees from Bhutan Face Generation Gap” Retrieved on December 12, 2013, from http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jun/04/nepali-refugees-bhutan-generationsGoogle Scholar
- Rai, B. (2013). Who are the Lhotsampa? The Southern Bhutanese and How Did They End Up as Refugees? Damak, Nepal, self-published.Google Scholar
- Silverman, D. (eds.) (2000). Qualitative Research Practice. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sunilam. (2007). “Bhutanese Refugees Battle World’s Apathy.” Economic and Political Weekly, 42.Google Scholar
- UNHCR. (2013, April). “Refugee Resettlement Referral from Nepal Reaches Six-Figure Mark.” Retrieved from http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e487856.html on 14/12/2013Google Scholar
- UNHCR. (2013, July). “Fact Sheet.” http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e487856.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Watch, Human Rights (2003, October). “Nepal/Bhutan: Bilateral Talks Fail to Solve Refugee Crisis.”Google Scholar