Putin’s Relapse into Totalitarianism
The central scenario should be based on the premise that Putin is here to stay- not only until 2018 but until 2024 as well. Although the current patriotic surge will eventually diminish (because of the sanctions, psychological fatigue and fear of economic implications of the Ukrainian crisis and Putins policies), the mass support it provided to Putin will allow the regime to preserve the situation in its current state for quite a while. To achieve this goal, the regime will use the entire repressive machine of the state security system, courts and prosecutors, as well as the institutions that affect mass socialization and public opinion- the media, educational system, culture and the Church.
KeywordsAuthoritarian Regime Mass Support Independent Medium Mass Protest Paternalism Institution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Dubin (2014) ‘Macht, Masse, Manipulation. Putins Rating und Russlands Gesellschaft’, Osteuropa, 64. Jg., H.7 Juli, 3–12.Google Scholar
- L. Gudkov (2012) Abortive Modernization (Moscow: ROSSPEN).Google Scholar
- L. Gudkov, V. Zaslavsky (2011) Russland. Kein Weg aus dent postkommunistischen Übergang? (Berlin: Wagenbach).Google Scholar
- L. Gudkov (2011) The Metamorphosis of the Communist Nomenclature in Russia at the Turn of the Century (Moscow: ROSPEN).Google Scholar
- Levada Center (2013) Public Opinion 2013. Levada Center Annual Yearbook (Moscow: Levada Center).Google Scholar
- Levada Center (2013) Putin in Public Opinion Before and After the Political Reshuffle, Levada Center Press Issue, 15 October 2013.Google Scholar
- Levada Center (2014) Russians about Lighting Ukrainian Events and Sanctions, Levada Center Press Issue, 12 May 2014, http://www.levada.ru/12-05-2014/rossiyane-ob-osveshchenii-ukrainskikh-sobytii-i-sanktsiyakh
- Y. Levada (2000) From Opinions to Understanding (Moscow: Novoye Izdatelstvo).Google Scholar
- Y. Levada (2006) ‘Lhe Lwo States of the Common Man in Y Levada (2006) In Search of Man (Moscow: Novoye Izdatelstvo).Google Scholar
- I. Reznik, S. Bierman, H. Meyer (2014), Putin Promoting Sochi Tightens Grip as Investors Fret, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-29/putin-uses-oil-giant-rosneft-to-tighten-grip-on-economy.html
- Rosstat (2013) The Russian Statistic Yearbook, Collected Volume (Moscow: Rosstat).Google Scholar