Part of the Palgrave Macmillan Studies in Banking and Financial Institutions book series (SBFI)
Mobile Payments: The Second Wave
When addressing the issue of m-payments, it is difficult to come up with a proper definition. The term remains as opaque as ever. As a consequence, “m-payments” refers to very different types of payments that only have in common that the mobile phone is used somewhere in the payment process. The mobile phone is used as:
Mobile phones are used for payments in the mobile Internet, they are used for proximity payments at the POS and they are used for P2P payments.
a plastic body,
an identifier (using the SIM),
a communication channel,
a computer and
a payment terminal.
KeywordsMobile Phone European Central Bank Mobile Operator Near Field Communication European Parliament
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 451 Research. 2015. “Apple Pay outperforming PayPal in mobile payments, according to new 451 Research survey”, New York, April 21.Google Scholar
- Apple Inc. 2014. “Apple announces Apple Pay”, Press release. (https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/09/09Apple-Announces-Apple-Pay.html).
- Consult Hyperion. 2014. “HCE and SIM Secure Element: It’s not black and white”, Discussion Paper, June 2014 (http://www.chyp.com/assets/uploads/Documents/2014/06/HCE_and_SIM_Secure_Element.pdf).
- Eijkman, Frederik, Jake Kendall, and Ignacio Mas. 2010. “Bridges to cash: The retail end of M-PESA. The challenge of maintaining liquidity for M-PESA Agent Networks”, Savings and Development, No. 2, 219–252.Google Scholar
- European Banking Authority (EBA). 2014. “Final guidelines on the security of Internet payments”, EBA/GL/2014/12, 19 December 2014.Google Scholar
- European Central Bank (ECB). 2013. “Recommendations for the security of mobile payments”, Draft document for public consultation, November 2013.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2012a. “Commission opens in-depth investigation into the creation of a mobile commerce joint venture by UK mobile operators Telefonica, Vodafone and Everything Everywhere”, Press release, Brussels, 13 April 2012.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2012b. “Commission clears the creation of a mobile commerce joint venture by UK mobile operators Telefonica, Vodafone and Everything Everywhere”, Press release, Brussels, 5 September 2012.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2015. “The rolling plan for ICT standardisation. Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs”, published on 24 March 2015, (http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/dae/document.cfm?doc_id=9137).
- European Parliament. 2012. “Card, Internet and mobile payments. European Parliament resolution of 20 November 2012 on ‘Towards an integrated European market for card, Internet and mobile payments’”, (2012/2040(INI)).Google Scholar
- Fiveash, Kelly. 2014. “Apple Pay is a tidy payday for Apple with 0.15% cut, sources say”, The Register, 13 September 2014, (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/13/apple_to_get_15_cents_for_every_100_dollar_payment_on_its_pay_service_says_ft/).
- Górka, Jakub. 2015. “Instant payments from the Polish perspective”, Meeting of the Payment Systems Market Expert Group, European Commission, Brussels, 28 April 2015.Google Scholar
- Guynn, Jessica. 2013. “Square taps into the mobile payment business”, Los Angeles Times, 1 February 2013, (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-square-dorsey-20130201,0,5416478.story)
- Hernandez, Will. 2014. “The overlooked mobile payment: direct carrier billing”, Mobile Payments Today, July 1 (http://www.mobilepaymentstoday.com/articles/the-overlooked-mobile-payment-direct-carrier-billing/).
- Isaac, Mike.2014. “Apple Pay Signals New Era at Cash Register”, New York Times Online, Sept. 30, 2014. (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/technology/apple-pay-signals-new-era-at-cash-register.html)
- Judt, Ewald and Loredana Viola. 2013. “M-Payments — Status und Akzeptanzbarrieren”, ÖBA, 9/13, pp. 642–648.Google Scholar
- Klees, Maria, Malte Krueger and Aline Eckstein. 2013. “Der Internetzahlungsverkehr aus Sicht der Verbraucher in D-A-CH — Ergebnisse der Umfrage IZV11”, Eine Studie des ECC über den Online-Payment-Markt in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz aus Verbrauchersicht, Ausgewählte Studien des ECC Band 3.Google Scholar
- Krueger, Malte. 2001. “The future of m-payments — Business options and policy issues”, Background Paper No. 2, Electronic Payment Systems Observatory, Institute for Prospective Technological Studies, Sevilla, (http://www.h-ab.de/fileadmin/dokumente/krueger/2001_M-Payments_ePSO%20Background%20Paper%202.pdf).Google Scholar
- MasterCard. 2014a. “MasterCard to use host card emulation (HCE) for NFC-based mobile payments”, Press release, (http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/mastercard-to-use-host-card-emulation-hce-for-nfc-based-mobile-payments/).
- MasterCard. 2014b. “Partnership creates a ‘one stop shop’ for banks and mobile operators to speed development of NFC payments offering to their customers”, Press release, 25 February 2014, (http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/deutsche-telekom-telefonica-deutschland-vodafone-and-mastercard-join-forces-to-simplify-mobile-payments/).
- National Audit Office. 2001. “The auction of radio spectrum for the third generation of mobile telephones. Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General”, HC 233 Session 2001–2002: 19 October 2001.Google Scholar
- Paypers. 2015. “Google launches Android Pay, mobile payments scene heats up”, Friday 29 May 2015, (http://www.thepaypers.com/mobile-payments/google-launches-android-pay-mobile-payments-scene-heats-up/760078-16).
- PaySys Consultancy. 2011. “M-Payments: The acquiring side”, PaySys SEPA Newsletter, August 2011, (http://paysys.de//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=73).
- PaySys Consultancy. 2015. “Who are the new kids on the regulatory PSD II-block?”, PaySys Report 01/2015, (http://paysys.de//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=73).
- Safaricom Limited. 2015. “Annual Report 2014”.Google Scholar
- Salmony, Michael. 2015. “Pan-European peer-to-peer payment by mobile phone including considerations on technical and commercial implementation options”, Banking and Information Technology (BIT), forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Seyedi, Sep. 2015. “War of the Wallets”, Crunch Network, posted 10 February, (http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/10/war-of-the-wallets/).
- Square. 2015. “Square secures funding from new and existing investors to expand its popular small business financing program”, Square News, 12 May 2015, (https://squareup.com/news/capital-investment).
- Trichur, Rita and Daisuke Wakabayashi. 2015. “Apple Pay plans to launch in Canada this fall”, The Wall Street Journal, Updated 17 April 2015, (http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-pay-plans-to-launch-in-canada-this-fall-1429280816).
- Visa International. 2014. “Visa to enable secure cloud-based mobile payments”, Press release from 19 February 2014, (http://investor.visa.com/news/news-details/2014/Visa-to-Enable-Secure-Cloud-Based-Mobile-Payments/default.aspx).
© Malte Krueger 2016