The Complexity of Tax Simplification: The UK Experience
Complexity has long been a feature of taxation in the UK. For instance, the original Act of Parliament introducing the income tax in 1799 was a complex document of some 152 pages so that the government felt it necessary to issue a guide entitled A Plain, Short and Easy Description of the Different Clauses of the Income Tax so as to render it Familiar to the Meanest Capacity (Farnsworth 1951, p. 15).
KeywordsFiscal Study Inland Revenue Revenue Authority National Insurance Contribution Community Charge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adam, S. and Loutzenhiser, G. (2007), Integrating Income Tax and National Insurance: An Interim Report. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies.Google Scholar
- Bowler, T. (2014), The Office of Tax Simplification: Looking Back and Looking Forward, TLRC Discussion Paper 11. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies.Google Scholar
- Butler, D., Adonis, A. and Travers, T. (1994), Failure in British Government: The Politics of the Poll Tax. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Committee of Public Accounts (2013), Tax avoidance: the role of large accountancy firms. Forty-fourth Report of Session 2012–13, HC 870Google Scholar
- http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmpubacc/870/870.pdf [Accessed 14 May 2015].
- Cooper, G.S. (1993), ‘Themes and issues in tax simplification’, Australian Tax Forum, 10, 417–460.Google Scholar
- Farnsworth, A. (1951), Addington, Author of the Modern Income Tax. London: Stevens & Sons.Google Scholar
- Freedman, J. (2013), ‘Creating new UK institutions for tax governance and policy making: progress or confusion?’, British Tax Review, 4, 373–381.Google Scholar
- Gibson, J. (1990), The Politics and Economics of the Poll Tax: Mrs Thatcher’s Downfall. Cradley Heath: EMAS.Google Scholar
- Gunning, R. (1952), The Technique of Clear Writing New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- HMRC (2014), Digital Strategy, http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hmrc-digital-strategy–2014/hmrc-digital-strategy–2014 [Accessed 10 February 2015].
- HM Treasury (2015), Budget 2015. London: Stationery Office, HC 1093.Google Scholar
- Inland Revenue (1995a), The Path to Tax Simplification. London: HMSO.Google Scholar
- Inland Revenue (1995b), The Path to Simplification: A Background Paper. London: HMSO.Google Scholar
- James, S, (2008), ‘The complexity of tax simplification and reforming the process of tax reform’. Paper presented at the annual conference of the British Accounting Association, Blackpool.Google Scholar
- James, S. (2012b), ‘Behavioural economics and the risks of tax administration’, eJournal of Tax Research, 10(2), 345–363.Google Scholar
- James, S. and Lewis, A. (1977), ‘Fiscal Fog’, British Tax Review, 6, 371–378.Google Scholar
- James, S., Lewis, A. and Alison, F. (1987), The Comprehensibility of Taxation: A Study of Taxation and Communications. Aldershot: Avebury.Google Scholar
- James, S., Lewis, A. and Wallschutzky, I. (1981), ‘Fiscal fog: A comparison of the comprehensibility of tax literature in Australia and the United Kingdom’, Australian Tax Review, 10(1), 26–36.Google Scholar
- James, S., Wallschutzky, I. and Alley, C. (2013), ‘The Henry Report and the taxation of work expenses’, Journal of Finance and Management in Public Services, 11(2), 46–58.Google Scholar
- Jones, G., Rice, P. Sherwood, J. and Whiting, J. (2014), Developing a Tax Complexity Index for the UK, Office of Tax Simplification, http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/285944/OTS_Developing_a_Tax_Complexity_Index_for_the_UK.pdf [Accessed 14 May 2015].
- McLaughlin, G.H. (1969), ‘SMOG grading-a new readability formula’, Journal of Reading, 22, 639–646.Google Scholar
- Mirrlees Review (2011), Tax by Design: The Mirrlees Review (Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Office of Tax Simplification, (OTS), (2010a), Framework Document, http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193545/ots_framework_document_jul10.pdf [Accessed 14 May 2015].
- Office of Tax Simplification (OTS) (2010b), Review of tax reliefs: Interim report. London: OTS.Google Scholar
- Office of Tax Simplification (OTS) (2011), Review of tax reliefs: Final Report. London: OTS.Google Scholar
- Office of Tax Simplification (OTS) (2015), OTS simplification recommendations: summary at March 2015. London: OTS.Google Scholar
- Plain English Campaign (1998), Golden Bull Awards 1998, http://www.plaineng-lish.co.uk/campaigning/awards/1991-2000-awards/1998-awards/833-golden-bull-awards-1998.html [Accessed 11 February 2015].
- Plain English Campaign (2006), Golden Bull Awards 2006, http://www.plaineng-lish.co.uk/campaigning/awards/2001-2010-awards/2006-awards/794-golden-bull-awards–2006.html [Accessed 11 February 2015].
- Plain English Campaign (2013), Golden Bull Awards 2013, http://www.plaineng-lish.co.uk/campaigning/awards/2013-awards/golden-bull-awards.html [Accessed 11 February 2015].
- Plain English Campaign (2010), ‘Plain English won’t solve this one, but plain common sense is a start’, http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/news/943-plain-english-and-the-hmrc.html [Accessed 11 February 2015].
- Reform of Social Security: Programme for Action (1986), London HMSO Cmnd. 9691.Google Scholar
- Salter, D. (2010), ‘The tax law rewrite in the United Kingdom: plus ça change plus c’est la même chose?’ British Tax Review, 6, 671–687.Google Scholar
- Sawyer, A. (2013a), ‘Rewriting tax legislation — can polishing silver really turn it into gold?’ Journal of Australian Taxation, 15(1), 1–39.Google Scholar
- Sawyer, A. (2013b), ‘Moving on from the tax legislation rewrite projects: A comparison of the New Zealand tax working group/generic tax policy process and the United Kingdom Office of Tax Simplification’, British Tax Review, 3, 321–344.Google Scholar
- Smith, P. (1991), ‘Lessons from the British poll tax disaster’, National Tax Journal 44(4, Pt 2), 421–436.Google Scholar
- Tax Law Review Committee (1995), Interim Report on Tax Legislation. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies.Google Scholar
- Tax Law Review Committee (1996), Final Report on Tax Legislation. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies.Google Scholar
- Trevelyan, G.M. (1946), English Social History, 2nd edn. London: Longmans, Green and Co.Google Scholar
- Ulph, D. (2012), Measuring Tax Complexity, OTS, London. http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193497/ots_david_ulph_measuring_tax_complexity.pdf [Accessed 14 May 2015].
- Vanistendael, F. (1996), ‘Legal framework for taxation’ in V. Thuronyi (Ed.). Tax Law Design and Drafting, vol. 1. Washington DC: International Monetary Fund.Google Scholar