Contriving Authentic Interaction: Task Implementation and Engagement in School-Based Speaking Assessment in Hong Kong
In 2007, a School-based Assessment (SBA) component combining the assessment of speaking with an extensive reading/viewing program was introduced into the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE). Having operated on a trial basis for several years, SBA is now fully integrated in the new secondary school exit examination, the Hong Kong Diploma of Education Examination (HKDSE), since 2012.
KeywordsPreparation Time Assessment Task Language Test Language Assessment Topic Shift
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bachman, L. F. (1990). Fundamental considerations in language testing. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Cheng, L., Andrews, S., & Yu, Y. (2011). Impact and consequences of school-based assessment (SBA): Students’ and parents’ views of SBA in Hong Kong. Language Testing, 28(2), 221–249.Google Scholar
- Fok, W. K. (2012). HKCEE English Language school-based assessment: Its implementation at the frontline. Unpublished doctoral thesis, Durham University.Google Scholar
- HKEAA (2009). 2012 Hong Kong diploma of secondary education examination English language: School-based assessment teachers’ handbook. Retrieved February 21, 2014, from http://www.hkeaa.edu.hk/DocLibrary/SBA/HKDSE/Eng_DVD/doc/SBA_handbook_2012_ENG_240709.pdf
- Jefferson, G. (2004). Glossary of transcript symbols with an introduction. In G. Lerner (Ed.), Conversation analysis: Studies from the first generation (pp. 13–31). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.Google Scholar
- Tavakolian, P., & Skehan, P. (2005). Strategic planning, task structure and performance testing. In R. Ellis (Ed.), Planning and task performance in a second language (pp. 239–273). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.Google Scholar
- van Lier, L. (1996). Interaction in the language curriculum. Awareness, autonomy and authenticity. London: Longman.Google Scholar
- Widdowson, H. G. (1979). Explorations in applied linguistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Wigglesworth, G. (2000). Issues in the development of oral tasks for competency-based assessments of second language performance. In G. Brindley (Ed.), Studies in immigrant English language assessment (Vol. 1. Research Series 11, pp. 81–124). Sydney: National Centre for English Language Teaching and Research, Macquarie University.Google Scholar