What Is ‘Post-digital’?
In January 2013, a picture of a young man typing on a mechanical typewriter while sitting on a park bench went ‘viral’ on the popular website Reddit. The image was presented in the typical style of an ‘image macro’ or ‘imageboard meme’ (Klok 2010, 16–19), with a sarcastic caption in bold white Impact typeface that read: ‘You’re not a real hipster — until you take your typewriter to the park.’
KeywordsDigital Medium Digital Humanity National Security Agency Audio Cassette Park Bench
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cox, G. (2015) Postscript on the Post-digital and the Problem of Temporality, in Berry, D. M. and Dieter, M. (eds.) Postdigital Aesthetics: Art, Computation and Design. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 151–162.Google Scholar
- Cramer, Florian (2012) Post-Digital Writing, Electronic Book Review, http://electronicbookreview.com/thread/electropoetics/postal, date accessed July 2014.
- Cramer, Florian (2013) Post-Digital Aesthetics, Jeu de Paume le Magazine, http://lemagazine.jeudepaume.org/2013/05/florian-cramer-post-digital-aesthetics/, date accessed July 2014.
- Eggers, Dave (2013) The Circle. New York: Knopf. Print.Google Scholar
- Goldsmith, Kenneth (2011) Uncreative Writing: Managing Language in the Digital Age. New York: Columbia University Press. Print.Google Scholar
- Goodman, Nelson (1976) Languages of Art. Indianapolis/Cambridge: Hackett. Print.Google Scholar
- Hermelin, C. D. (2013) I Am An Object Of Internet Ridicule, Ask Me Anything, The Awl. http://www.theawl.com/2013/09/i-was-a-hated-hipster-meme-and-then-it-got-worse, date accessed July 2014.
- Kittler, Friedrich (1992) There Is No Software, Stanford Literature Review 9: 81–90. Print.Google Scholar
- Klok, Timo (2010) 4Chan and Imageboards, in Research Group Communication in a Digital Age (ed.) post.pic. Rotterdam: Piet Zwart Institute, Willem de Kooning Academy Rotterdam University. 16–19. Print.Google Scholar
- Manovich, Lev (2002b) The Language of New Media. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Negroponte, Nicholas (1998) Beyond Digital, Wired 6(12). http://web.media.mit.edu/~nicholas/Wired/WIRED6-12.html, date accessed July 2014.
- Pynchon, Thomas (2013) Bleeding Edge. London: Penguin. Print.Google Scholar
- Van Meer, Aldje (2012–2013) I Would Rather Design a Poster than a Website, Willem de Kooning Academy Rotterdam University. http://www.iwouldratherdesignaposterthanawebsite.nl, date accessed July 2014.Google Scholar