Measuring Microfinance Performance
Controversies have been a hallmark of microfinance in the years following the initial euphoria due to the awarding of the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize to Grameen Bank and Mohammad Yunus. MFIs have been accused of making people credit-dependent. How, though, do we measure their success or lack of it? This paper aims to discuss various ways of measuring MFI performance.
KeywordsGross Domestic Product Loan Portfolio Financial Sustainability Microfinance Institution Loan Loss Provision
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armendáriz, Beatrice & Murdoch, Jonathan. (2010). The Economics of Microfinance, 2nd ed. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USAGoogle Scholar
- Berk, Jonathan & DeMarzo, Peter. (2014) Corporate Finance, 3rd edition. Pearson, Boston, MA, USAGoogle Scholar
- Beisland, Leif Atle & Mersland, Roy. (2013) ‘Earnings Quality in the Microfinance Industry,’ In Gueyie, J.P., Manos, R., & Yaron, J., Microfinance in developing countries: Issues, policies and performance evaluations. Palgrave Macmillan, USA/UK.Google Scholar
- Bruhn, Miriam & Love, Inessa. (2009). ‘The Economic Impact of Banking the Unbanked. Evidence from Mexico’. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 4981Google Scholar
- Christen, Robert Peck, Rhyne, Elisabeth, Vogel, Robert C., & McKean, Cressida. (1995). ‘Maximizing the Outreach of Microenterprise Finance. The Emerging Lessons of Successful Programs’. Program and Operations Assessment Report, 10. US Agency for International Development, Washington, DC, USAGoogle Scholar
- Delgado, M.S., Hartarska, V., Parmeter, C. & Mersland, R. (forthcoming). ‘Should all microfinance institutions mobilize microsavings? Evidence from economics of scope’, Empirical Economics. DOI 10.1007/s00181–014-0861–3.Google Scholar
- Greene, William H. (2012) Econometric Analysis, 7th ed. Prentice Hall, New York, USAGoogle Scholar
- Hashemi, Syed. (2007). ‘Beyond Good Intentions: Measuring the Social Performance of Microfinance Institutions’, Focus Note, 41. CGAP.Google Scholar
- Randøy, Trond, Strøm, R. Øystein, & Mersland, Roy. Forthcoming. ‘The Impact of Entrepreneur-CEOs in Microfinance Institutions: A Global Survey’. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice DOI: 10.1111/etap.12085.Google Scholar
- Yaron, Jacob. (1992). ‘Successful Rural Finance Institutions’, World Bank Discussion Paper 150. The World BankGoogle Scholar
- Zeller, Manfred & Meyers, Richard. L. (Eds). (2003) The Triangle of Microfinance: Financial Sustainability, Outreach, and Impact. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, USAGoogle Scholar