Metacognition and Critical Thinking: Some Pedagogical Imperatives
- 2.1k Downloads
Critical thinking is apparently universally desirable as an educational outcome. It is rare to find an educational institution that does not mention some critical skills in the list of its graduate attributes. Too often, however, critical thinking permeates the talk and spirit of syllabi but the substance of it fails to materialize. It has become the Cheshire Cat of curricula, in that it seems to be in all places, owned by all disciplines, but it does not appear, fully developed, in any of these.
KeywordsMental Representation Critical Thinking Cognitive Skill Propositional Knowledge Intentional Stance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bunnell, S. L., and Bernstein, D. J. 2012. “Overcoming Some Threshold Concepts in Scholarly Teaching.” The Journal of Faculty Development 26 (3): 14–18.Google Scholar
- Chaffee, J., McMahon, C., and Stout, B. 2004. Critical Thinking, Thoughtful Writing: A Rhetoric with Readings. (third edition). Boston: Houghton Mifflin.Google Scholar
- Elder, L., and Paul, R. 2001. “Critical Thinking: Thinking with Concepts.” Journal of Developmental Education 24 (3).Google Scholar
- Ennis, R. H. 1964. “A Definition of Critical Thinking.” The Reading Teacher 17 (8): 599–612.Google Scholar
- Facione, P. A. 1990. “Critical Thinking: A Statement of Expert Consensus for Purposes of Educational Assessment and Instruction.” Research Findings and Recommendations. 2012/12/09/22:50:47. http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/detail?accno=ED315423.
- Freire, P. 1996. Pedagogy of the Oppressed. (second edition). London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Kahneman, D. 2011. Thinking, Fast and Slow. London: Allen Lane.Google Scholar
- Mulnix, J. W. 2010. “Thinking Critically about Critical Thinking.” Educational Philosophy and Theory. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1469–5812.2010.00673.x.
- Paul, R. 1993. Critical Thinking: How to Prepare Students for a Rapidly Changing World. (first edition). Santa Rosa, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking.Google Scholar
- Peters, R. S. 2010. The Concept of Education. London and New York: Taylor & Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Petress, K. 2004. “Critical Thinking: An Extended Definition.” Education 124 (3): 461–466.Google Scholar
- Ryle, G. 1970. The Concept of Mind. (New impression edition). Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltd.Google Scholar
- Scriven, M., and Paul, R. Defining Critical Thinking. 2011/11/23/21:45:59. Available from http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/defining-critical-thinking/766.
- Shine Script—Dialogue Transcript 2013. October 30. Available from http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/s/shine-script-transcript-david-helfgott.html.