“Dead in the Water….Again”: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness in the Twenty-First Century
- 76 Downloads
On October 21, 2010, CNN premiered the documentary Black in America: Almighty Debt, hosted by Soledad O’Brien, which, at the time, was CNN’s latest installment in a series of news documentaries about African Americans in the United States. Featured in the 90-minute program was Rev. Dr. DeForest B. Soaries Jr., Senior Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens in Somerset, New Jersey. In addition to his multiple pastoral duties, the documentary highlighted Rev. Soaries’s philosophy of financial autonomy that he advocates for his 7,000-member congregation. His “dfree™” strategy teaches people how to achieve financial independence, which means “living without debt, deficits and delinquencies.” When O’Brien asked Rev. Soaries which was the greater obstacle for African Americans, racism or debt, he responded without hesitation, “Debt is the new slavery…paying last month’s bills with next month’s income is a kind of indentured servitude. It is financial bondage.”
KeywordsFinancial Crisis Financial Bondage Christian Theologian Financial Autonomy Loan Modification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dollar, Creflo A. Jr. 1999. Total Life Prosperity: 14 Practical Steps to Receiving God’s Full Blessing. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.Google Scholar
- Gutierrez, Gustavo. 1990. The Truth Shall Make You Free: Confrontations. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books.Google Scholar
- Heschel, Rabbi Abraham Joshua. 1962. The Prophets. Vol. 1. New York: Harper Torch Books.Google Scholar
- Manson, Jamie L. 2011. “Crucifixion Helps Make Meaning of Pain in Church, World.” National Catholic Reporter Online. April 20.Google Scholar
- Osteen, Joel. 2010. It’s Your Time: Activate Your Faith, Achieve Your Dreams and Increase in God’s Favor. New York: Free Press / Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Recinos, Harold J. 2006. Good News from the Barrio: Prophetic Witness for the Church. Louisville, KY Westminster John Knox Press.Google Scholar
- Soaries, Rev. Dr. DeForest B. Jr. 2011. dfree™ Breaking Free from Financial Slavery. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.Google Scholar
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Available at www.bls.gov.