Listening to the Grandmother Spirit: The Chance for Prophetic Change in Contemporary Healing
In this paper, I hope to share some information that was told to me by informants from the Native American communities in Canada and the USA. I humbly present this information in the hopes of stimulating a discussion of the value of traditional healing. Furthermore, I would like to suggest that modern medicine does benefit from investigating these well-worn practices and will continue to benefit from integrating this knowledge into contemporary health practice.
KeywordsTraditional Healing Modern Medicine Building Bridge Native American Community Religious Healing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brickman, C. (2003) Aboriginal Populations in the Mind: Race and Primitivity in Psychoanalysis. New York, NY: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Brown, D.B. & Fromm, E. (1986) Hypnotherapy and Hypnoanalysis. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates, Inc.Google Scholar
- Foreman, R. (2004) Grassroots Spirituality: What It Is, Why Its Here, Where Its Going. Charlotsville, VA: Imprint Academic Philosophy documentation Center.Google Scholar
- Hefner, D. & Koss-Chioino, J.D. (2006) Spiritual transformation and radical empathy in ritual healing and therapeutic relationships. In J.D. Koss-Chioino & P. Hefner (Eds.), Spiritual Transformation and Healing: Anthropological, Theological, Neuroscientific, and Clinical Perspectives, pp. 45–61. New York: Altamira Press.Google Scholar
- Kahn, S. (2007) President’s message. Focus-Newsletter of Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 49(1): 1.Google Scholar
- Lang, E. & Laser, E. (2009) Patient Sedation without Medication: Rapid Rapport and Quick Hypnotic Techniques: A Resource Guide for Doctors, Nurses, and Technologist. Create Space Independent Publishing Platform.Google Scholar
- ‘Letter from St. Augustine of Hippo’. Newadvent.org. http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1102159.htm. Retrieved 29.12.12.
- Mason, P. (Personal communication, 18 April 2012).Google Scholar
- Meawasige, I. (Personal correspondence, 7 January 2012).Google Scholar
- St Augustine of Hippo (A.D. 415) Letter 159. http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/ 1102159.htm. Retrieved 03.01.14.
- Sullivan, H.S. (1970) The Psychiatric Interview (Co 1954). New York: W.W. Norton & Co.Google Scholar
- Wallace, R.K. Benson H. & Wilson A.F. (1971) A wakeful hypometabolic physiologic state. American Journal of Physiology, 221(3): 795–799.Google Scholar
- West, W. (2011) Exploring Therapy, Spirituality and Healing. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar