Love Divine and Love Sublime: The Catholic Marriage Advisory Council, the Marriage Guidance Movement and the State
We say with conviction that ‘love is the one solution’ for all the problems of married life and home life. But it must be real love, and not merely physical passion. And when it is real love, it still needs to be informed and intelligent love. It cannot do its perfect work without perfect knowledge.
Therefore the people who are working for harmonious marriages are not without vital relation to the people who are working for world peace. We must have peace in our homes, if we are to have peace in the State and in the international world.2
KeywordsExecutive Committee Marriage Problem Married Life Safe Period Sexual Politics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cocks, H. (2006) ‘Religion and Spirituality’, in M. Houlbrook and H. Cocks (eds), The Modern History of Sexuality (London: Palgrave), pp. 157–79.Google Scholar
- Cook, H. (2004) The Long Sexual Revolution: English Women, Sex and Contraception, 1800–1975 (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Gauverau, M. (2002) ‘The Emergence of Personalist Feminism: Catholicism and the Marriage-Preparation Movement in Quebec 1940–1966’, in N. Christie (ed.), Households of Faith: Family, Gender and Community in Canada, 1760–1969 (Montreal: McGill-Queens University Press), pp. 319–47.Google Scholar
- Hall, L. (2012) Sex, Gender and Social Change in Britain since 1880, 2nd edn (London: Palgrave).Google Scholar
- Jones, T. (2013) Sexual Politics in the Church of England, 1857–1957 (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Langhamer, C. (2013) The English in Love: The Intimate Story of an Emotional Revolution (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Lewis, J., D. Clark, and D. Morgan (eds) (1992) Whom God Hath Joined Together: The Work of Marriage Guidance (London: Routledge, 1992).Google Scholar
- Marshall, J. (1996) Fifty Years of Marriage Care (London: Catholic Marriage Care).Google Scholar
- Prochaska, F. (2006) Christianity and Social Service in Modern Britain: The Disinherited Spirit (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar