Part of the Global Culture and Sport Series book series (GCS)
Inspiring Pacific Women for Lifestyle Change: An Attempt to Halt the Spread of Chronic Diseases
To Pacific peoples, Western individualistic pursuits may appear rude and uncultured. (Reynaud, 2006)
KeywordsHealth Promotion Lifestyle Change Health Screening Health Promotion Programme Noncommunicable Disease
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bichmann, W., Rifkin, S. and Shrestha, M. (1989). Towards the Measurement of Community Participation. World Health Forum, 10(3-4), 467–472.Google Scholar
- Bravata, D.M., Smith-Spangler, C., Sundaram, V., Gienger, A., Lin, N.D., Lewis, R., Stave, C.D., Olkin, I. and Sirard, J.R. (2007). Using Pedometers to Increase Physical Activity and Improve Health. a Systematic Review. Journal of the American Medical Association, 298(19), 2296–2304.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1981). The Ecology of Human Development: Experiments by Nature and Design. London, UK: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Carlot-Tary, M., Hughes, R. and Hughes, M.C. (2000). 1998 Vanuatu Non-Communicable Disease Survey Report, Health Department, Government of the Republic of Vanuatu, Port Vila, Vanuatu.Google Scholar
- Coyne, T. (1984). The Effect of Urbanisation and Western Diet on the Health of Pacific Island Populations, South Pacific Commission. New Caledonia: Noumea.Google Scholar
- Douglas, B. (1979). Rank, Power, Authority: A Reassessment of Traditional Leadership in South Pacific Societies. The Journal of Pacific History, 14(1).Google Scholar
- FAO (2003). Nutrition Country Profiles Vanuatu, Nutrition Country Profiles (NCP), Rome.Google Scholar
- Griffen, V. (2006). Gender Relations in Pacific Cultures and Their Impact on the Growth and Development of Children. Paper Prepared for a Seminar on ‘Children’s Rights and Culture in the Pacific’. United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF).Google Scholar
- Hosey, G., Aitaoto, N., Satterfield, D., Kelly, J., Apaisam, C.J., Belyeu-Camacho, T., deBrum, I., Solidum Luces, P., Rengiil, A. and Turituri, P. (2009). The Culture, Community, and Science of Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in the US Associated Pacific Islands. Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice and Policy, 6(3), 1–10.Google Scholar
- Hughes, R.J. and Lawrence, A. (2005). Globalisation, Food and Health in Pacific Island Countries. Asia Pacific Journal for Clinical Nutrition, 14(4), 298–306.Google Scholar
- Inglehart, R. and Norris, P. (2010). Rising Tide: Gender Equality and Cultural Change Around the World, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Kang, M., Marshall, S.J., Barreira, T.V. and Lee, J.O. (2009). Effect of Pedometer-Based Physical Activity Interventions: A Meta-Analysis. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 80(3), 648–655.Google Scholar
- Labarthe, D., Reed, D., Brody, J. and Stallones, R. (1973). Health Effects of Modernization in Palau. American Journal of Epidemiology, 8(3), 161–174.Google Scholar
- Lewin, K. (1976). Field Theory in Social Science: Selected Theoretical Papers.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health New Zealand, New Zealand Health System — The 2011/12 Health Targets. available at: http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealand-health-system/health-targets/2011-12-health-targets.
- MoH Vanuatu and WPRO (2011). Vanuatu STEPS Survey 2011: Factsheet, Suva, Fiji.Google Scholar
- Pacific Health Dialogue (2012). Special Edition: Health Information System in the Pacific. Pacific Health Dialog, 18(1).Google Scholar
- Reynaud, D. (2006). South Pacific Cultures and the Concept and Practice of History. Arts Papers and Journal Articles, 1.Google Scholar
- SEARO (2008). Health in Asia and the Pacific: Chapter 8: Priority Noncommunicable Diseases and Conditions, Manila.Google Scholar
- Shalowitz, M., Isacco, A., Barquin, N., Clark-Kauffman, E., Delger, P., Nelson, D., Quinn, A. and Wagenaar, K. (2009). Community-Based Participatory Research: A Review of the Literature with Strategies for Community Engagement. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Paediatrics, 30(4), 350–361.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Siefken, K. and Schofield, G. (2011). Wokabaot Jalens: A Workplace Healthy Lifestyle Intervention for Female Civil Servants in Port Vila, Vanuatu, 2011. Report for the World Health Organization, Auckland, New Zealand.Google Scholar
- Siefken, K., Schofield, G. and Malcata, R. (in submission). Engaging Urban Pacific Women in Healthy Lifestyle Behaviour. An Outcome Evaluation of a Workplace-Based Physical Activity Intervention in Vanuatu. Journal of Sport for Development.Google Scholar
- Siefken, K., Schofield, G. and Schulenkorf, N. (2012b). Formative Assessments of Healthy Workplace Initiatives in Tuvalu, Tonga and Kiribati: May 2011-February 2012. Report prepared for WHO Western Pacific Regional Office.Google Scholar
- Siefken, K., Schofield, G. and Schulenkorf, N. (2012c). Laefstael Jenses: An Investigation of Barriers and Facilitators for Healthy Lifestyles of Women in an Urban Pacific Island Context. Accepted for publication by the Journal of Physical Activity and Health.Google Scholar
- Siefken, K., Schofield, G. and Schulenkorf, N. (2012d). Novel Techniques to Visualize Evaluation Data and to Communicate Health Promotion Programme Successes and Challenges — A Strategy to Engage Health Practitioners in the South Pacific. Unpublished.Google Scholar
- SPC (2010). Beijing + 15: Review of Progress in Implementing the Beijing Platform for Action in Pacific Island Countries and Territories, Noumea.Google Scholar
- Suchman, E. (1967). Evaluative Research: Principles and Practice in Public Service and Social Action Programs. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.Google Scholar
- Tannen, D. (1999). The Argument Culture: Stopping America’s War of Words. New York: Ballantine Books.Google Scholar
- Taylor, R. (1983). Prevention and control of non-communicable diseases in Pacific Island nations. Prospects and constraints. The Medical Journal of Australia, 2(8), 389–394.Google Scholar
- Taylor, R., Badcock, J., King, H., Pargeter, K., Zimmet, P., Fred, T., Lund, M., Ringrose, H., Bach, F., Wang, R. and Sladden, T. (1992). Dietary Intake, Exercise, Obesity and Noncommunicable Disease in Rural and Urban Populations of Three Pacific Island Countries. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 11(3).Google Scholar
- Taylor, R., Jalaludin, B., Levy, S., Montaville, B., Gee, K. and Sladden, T. (1991). Prevalence of Diabetes, Hypertension and Obesity at Different Levels of Urbanisation in Vanuatu. The Medical Journal of Australia, 155(2), 86–90.Google Scholar
- United Nations (UN) (2005). Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women: CEDAW country report Vanuatu.Google Scholar
- VNSO (2012). Ministry of Finance and Economic Management. available at: http://www.vnso.gov.vu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9 &Itemid=4.
- WHO (1978). Declaration of Alma-Ata.Google Scholar
- WHO (1986). Ottawa Charter on Health Promotion: International Conference on Health Promotion. Geneva: World Health Organization (WHO).Google Scholar
- WHO (2007). Health Promotion in a Globalized World: Report by the Secretariat. Geneva.Google Scholar
- WHO (2012). Health Financing for Universal Coverage. available at: http://www.who.int/health_financing/strategy/revenue_collecton/en/.
- WHO (2013). STEPwise Approach to Surveillance (STEPS). the WHO STEPwise Approach to Chronic Disease Risk Factor Surveillance (STEPS). available at: http://www.who.int/chp/steps/en/ (accessed 22 February 2010).
- WPRO (2008). Health Sector Development. available at: http://www2.wpro.who.int/southpacific/sites/hsd/.
- WPRO (2009). Western Pacific Regional Action Plan for Noncommunicable Diseases: A Region Free of Avoidable NCD Deaths and Disability, Manila.Google Scholar
- WPRO and SPC (2008). Pacific Physical Activity Guidelines for Adults: Framework for Accelerating the Communication of Physical Activity Guidelines, Manila.Google Scholar
© Katja Siefken, Grant Schofield and Nico Schulenkorf 2013