Remember the Russell Tribunal?
- 152 Downloads
In an attempt to illustrate the origin of, as well as the reason for, collective forgetting, Paul Connerton (2008) begins his article ‘Seven Types of Forgetting’ by emphasizing that intellectual debate on the subject has suffered immensely from the fact that we attribute negative connotations to forgetting: forgetting equals failure, failure to remember; and remembering, on the other hand, is somewhat like honouring an obligation, and therefore constitutes success. By that logic, to speak of things forgotten would mean pointing out failures; the practice would entail inherent critique of a failed memory agent who could be identified through ‘gaps’ in the narrative.
KeywordsMemory Study Vietnam Veteran Cultural Memory Documentary Film Advance Human
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersson, S. (2012) ‘A Secondary Bibliography of the International War Crimes Tribunal: Stockholm, London and Roskilde,’ The Journal of Bertrand Russell Studies, The Bertrand Russell Research Centre, McMaster U., 31, winter 2011–2012 pp 167–187.Google Scholar
- Chomsky, N. (2012) Email conversation with the author, 20 April 2012.Google Scholar
- Djerf-Pierre, M. and Weibull, L. (2001) Spegla, granska, tolka: Aktualitetsjournalistik i svensk radio och TV under 1900-talet (Stockholm: Prisma).Google Scholar
- Duffet, J. (1968) Against the Crime of Silence: Proceedings of the Russell International War Crimes Tribunal (Flanders, NJ: O’Hare Books).Google Scholar
- Efter tribunalen (1967) Program broadcast on Swedish Television (SVT), 11 May, made available for research via Svensk Mediedatabas SMDB.Google Scholar
- Lindorm, P. (1978) Ett folk på marsch 1960–1977: En bokfilm (Stockholm: Bonniers).Google Scholar
- Merriam-Webster, http://www.merriam-webster.com.
- Posner, R. A. (2003) Public Intellectuals: A Study of Decline (Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press).Google Scholar
- Russell, B. (1969) The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell. Vol. 3, 1944–1967 (London: Allen & Unwin).Google Scholar
- Russelltribunalen (2004) Lamm, S. (dir.), produced by Anne Möller Bondeson, Front Film AB, Sveriges Television AB.Google Scholar
- Winter Soldier (1972) Dir. Winterfilm Collective in association with Vietnam Veterans Against the War.Google Scholar