The three phases of the crisis that began in 2007 and erupted with full force in the Fall of 2008 had a multilevel character in Europe. At each level — the national level, the European (including the European Union [EU]) level, and the larger global context — different dynamics governed the impact of the crisis.
KeywordsMonetary Policy International Monetary Fund Public Debt European Central Bank Optimum Currency Area
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bohle, Dorothee (2010) ‘The Crisis of the Eurozone’, EUI Working Paper RSCAS 2010/77, European University Institute, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, EUDO- European Union Democracy Observatory, Florence, http://cadmus.eui.eu/bitstream/handle/1814/14674/RSCAS_2010_77.pdf?sequence=1, accessed on 10 July 2012.Google Scholar
- Drazen, A. and V. Grilli (1993) ‘The Benefit of Crises for Economic Reforms’, The American Economic Review 83(3), 598–607.Google Scholar
- Gourevitch, P. (1986) Politics in Hard Times: Comparative Responses to International Economic Crises (Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press).Google Scholar
- Greenhouse, Steven (2011) ‘Ohio’s Anti-Union Law Is Tougher than Wisconsin’s’, New York Times, 11 March.Google Scholar
- Haberler, G. (1970) ‘The International Monetary System: Some Recent Developments and Discussions’, in G. Halm (ed.), Approaches to Greater Flexibility in Exchange Rates (Princeton: Princeton University Press), 115–23.Google Scholar
- Ingram, J.C. (1962) Regional Payments Mechanisms: The Case of Puerto Rico (North Carolina: University of North Carolina Press).Google Scholar
- Kenen, P. (1969) ‘The Optimum Currency Area: An Eclectic View’, in R.A. Mundell and A.K. Swoboda (eds), Monetary Problems of the International Economy (Chicago: Chicago University Press), 41–60.Google Scholar
- McKinnon, R. (1963) ‘Optimum Currency Areas’, American Economic Review 52, 717–25.Google Scholar
- Mintz, N.N. (1970) Monetary Union and Economic Integration (New York: New York University Bulletin No. 64).Google Scholar
- Mundell, R.A. (1961) ‘A Theory of Optimum Currency Areas’, American Economic Review 51, 657–65.Google Scholar
- Taylor, P. (2010) ‘Europe and Globalization’ in R. Tiersky and J. Van Oudenaren (eds), European Foreign Policies: Does Europe Still Matter? (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.), 133–160.Google Scholar