“SOAR” from the Mediocrity of Status Quo to the Heights of Global Sustainability
- 75 Downloads
At certain points in our lives, many of us feel the need to reflect on what it takes to lead a life that is good, useful, worthy, and meaningful. Perhaps we have noticed ourselves trimming our principles and making too many compromises in our careers, and we want to reconnect with our values. Or perhaps we yearn, in a world filled with clashing opinions, to understand the great ideas and ideals that have competed throughout the progress of civilization.
KeywordsSustainable Development Strategic Management Stakeholder Theory Strategic Change Management Executive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BAWB: Business as an Agent of World Benefit. 2005. http://worldbenefit.cwru.edu/ (accessed January 7, 2007).
- Burke, W., and Trhant, W. 2000. Business climate shifts: Profiles of change makers. Woburn, MA: PriceWaterhouseCoopers.Google Scholar
- de Kluyver, C., and Pearce, J. 2006. Strategy: A view from the top. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Dechant, K., and Altman, B. 1994. Environmental leadership: From compliance to competitive advantage. Academy of Management Executive 8 (3): 7–20.Google Scholar
- Freeman, R. 1984. Strategic management: A stakeholder approach. Boston, MA: Pitman.Google Scholar
- Frooman, J. 1999. Stakeholder influence strategies. Academy of Management Review 24 (2): 191–205.Google Scholar
- Gladwin, T., Kennelly, J. and Krause, T. 1995. Shifting paradigms for sustainable development: Implications for management theory and research. Academy of Management Review 20 (4): 874–907.Google Scholar
- Hawken, P. 1993. Ecology of commerce. New York: Harper Business.Google Scholar
- Holeman, P., Devane, T., and Cady, S. 2006. The change handbook. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler.Google Scholar
- Holliday, C. 2001. Sustainable growth, the DuPont way. Harvard Business Review 79 (8): 129–132.Google Scholar
- Interface Sustainability. 2006. http://www.interfacesustainability.com/seven.html (accessed December 17, 2006).
- Kanter, R. 2004. Confidence: How winning streaks and losing streaks begin and end. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- Leach, J., and Moon, J. 2004. Pitch perfect. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Lewin, R., and Regine, B. 2000. The soul at work: Listen… Respond… Let go. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, D. J. 2000. View from the top: Henry Mintzberg on strategy and management. Academy of Management Executive 14 (3): 31–39.Google Scholar
- Nutt, P. C. 1999. Surprising but true: Half the decisions in organizations fail. Academy of Management Executive 13 (4): 75–90.Google Scholar
- Rainey, M. A. 1996. An appreciative inquiry into the factors of culture continuity during leadership transition: A case study of Lead Share, Canada. OD Practitioner 28 (1&2): 34–41.Google Scholar
- Schweiger, D. M., Sandberg, W. R., and Ragan, J. W. 1986. Group approaches for improving strategic decision making: A comparative analysis of dialectical inquiry, devil’s advocacy, and consensus approaches to strategic decision making. Academy of Management Journal 29 (1): 51–71.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shrivastava, P. 1995. The role of corporations in achieving ecological sustainability. Academy of Management Review 20 (4): 936–960.Google Scholar
- Stavros, J., Cooperrider, D., and Kelley, D. 2003. Strategic inquiry Appreciative intent: Inspiration to SOAR. AI Practitioner (November), 2–19.Google Scholar
- Suntop Media Thinkers 50. 2007. The Thinkers Top 50. http://www.thinkers50.com (accessed January 9, 2007).
- Sustainable South Bronx 2008. http://www.ssbx.org/greenway.html (accessed February 22, 2008).
- Thomas, H., Pollock, T., and Gorman, P. 1999. Global strategic analyses: Frameworks and approaches. Academy of Management Executive 13 (1): 70–82.Google Scholar
- Thompson, A., and Strickland, A. 2005. Crafting and executing strategy. New York City, NY: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J. 1967. Organizations in action. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- WBCSD: World Business Council for Sustainable Development. 2007. http://www.wbcsd.org (accessed January 9, 2007).
- Wheelen, T., and Hunger, J. 2006. Strategic management and organization policy. 10th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.Google Scholar