As in other European countries, the UK banking market has undergone substantial change over the last twenty years, mainly driven by domestic deregulation as well by various other forces that have changed the supply and demand characteristics of the financial services industry (Molyneux et al.,1996). Compared to its main European counterparts the UK has a relatively small number of banks. As Figure 12.1 illustrates, the total number of authorised banking institutions has fallen from around 600 in 1985 to just over 460 in 1998. It also shows the decline in the number of mutual building societies over the same period.
KeywordsInvestment Banking Foreign Bank Banking Service Internet Banking Building Society
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bank of England (1999), Statistical Abstract Part1, (Bank of England, London)Google Scholar
- Bowen, Hogarth and Pain (1999), ‘The recent evolution of the UK banking industry and some implications for financial stability’ in The Monetary and Regulatory Implications of Changes in the Banking Industry, BIS Conference Papers, Vol. 7, pp. 251–94.Google Scholar
- British Bankers’ Association (1996), Annual Abstract of Banking Statistics, Vol 13, (BBA, London)Google Scholar
- British Bankers’ Association (1999), Banking Business: An Abstract of Banking Statistics, Vol. 16, (BBA, London)Google Scholar
- ‘Cruickshank Report’, (March 2000) Competition in UK Banking: A Report to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, (Stationery Office, London)Google Scholar
- Economic Research Europe Ltd (1997), The Single Market Review: Impact on Credit Institutions and Banking, (Kogan Page, London)Google Scholar
- European Central Bank (July 1999), The Effects of Technology on EU Banking Systems, (ECB, Frankfurt)Google Scholar
- Financial World (October 1999), ‘Will a computer in every home ruin your channel delivery strategy?’: Special Report, (Chartered Institute of Bankers, London)Google Scholar
- Housing Finance (1999), No. 44, November, (Council of Mortgage Lenders, London)Google Scholar
- Molyneux, Philip, Yener Altunbas and Edward Gardener (1996), Efficiency in European Banking, (John Wiley, Chichester)Google Scholar