Addressing Kurdish Separatism in Turkey
One of the ongoing themes in descriptions of ethnic conflicts and their settlement is that there is a role for a wide range of interveners. The reason for this may be simple: that there is a great deal which needs to occur before hostile groups can find ways to live together in relative peace. A well-developed theory of ethnic conflict resolution would not only take into account the roles that different actors can play in the process, but would also offer insights into the particular roles each might play at different stages of a conflict.
KeywordsEthnic Conflict Turkish State Turkish Republic Distinct Ethnic Group Kurdish Population
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adam, Heribert and Moodley, Kogila (1993) ‘South Africa: The Opening of the Apartheid Mind’. In John McGarry and Brendan O’Leary (eds), The Politics of Ethnic Conflict Regulation. London: Routledge, pp. 226–51.Google Scholar
- Burton, John (1986) ‘History of Conflict Resolution,’ in The Encyclopedia of Peace. Oxford: Pergamon, pp. 174–9.Google Scholar
- Cohen, Stephen (1991) ‘Conflict Resolution; Principles in Practice’. Paper presented at Institute for Study and Resolution of Conflict, Port Elizabeth 29 July.Google Scholar
- Dittgen, Herbert (1994) ‘American Foreign Policy After the Cold War: The New Challenges’. Internationalle Politik und Gesellschaft-International Politics and Society, no. 2, 1994, pp. 131–44.Google Scholar
- Ergil, Dogu (1995) The Eastern Question: Diagnosis and Observations. TOBB Special Investigation Report, Ankara, Turkey.Google Scholar
- Gunter, Michael (1990) The Kurds in Turkey: A Political Dilemma. Boulder, Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Gurr, Ted Robert and Harff, Barbara (1994) Ethnic Conflict in World Politics. Boulder: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Mango, Andrew (1994) Turkey: The Challenge of a New Role. Washington Papers, no. 163.Google Scholar
- Rothman, Jay (1992) From Confrontation to Cooperation. Newbury Park: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Turkish Daily, Cumhuriyet, 10.8.1995.Google Scholar