Above and Below the Radar: Mapping the Distribution of Civil Society Associations in England
- 227 Downloads
As is reported regularly in this volume attempts to map the contours of associational life must resolve questions about how best to draw boundaries around eligible populations of organizations. A widely used point of departure for such investigations in the civil society area is the Almanac of Civil Society, which uses a definition developed by a team from Johns Hopkins (Salamon and Anheier 1996).
KeywordsSocial Capital Civil Society Social Enterprise Credit Union Sector Organization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clifford, D. and J. Mohan (forthcoming) ‘Neighbourhood Organizations: Evidence from the National Survey of Third Sector Organizations about Their Distribution, Characteristics and Resources’, TSRC working paper, in preparation.Google Scholar
- McCabe, A. and J. Phillimore (2009) ‘Exploring below the Radar: Issues of Theme and Focus’, TSRC working paper no. 8; available from www.tsrc.ac.uk.
- McGillivray, A., C. Wadhams, and P. Conaty (2001) Low-Flying Heroes: Microsocial Enterprise below the Radar Screen (London: New Economics Foundation).Google Scholar
- Mohan, J. (2011) ‘The Idea of a “Charity Desert”: Effects of Methods of Assessing the Distribution of Charitable Resources across Communities in England and Wales’, CGSP/TSRC working paper.Google Scholar
- Mohan, J., D. Kane, J. Branson, and S. Barnard (2011) Entering the Lists: What Can Be Learned from Local Listings of Third Sector Organizations, report to the Northern Rock Foundation; available from www.nr-foundation.org.uk.
- NAVCA and Audit Commission (2006) ‘Getting to Know Your Local Voluntary and Community Sector: Developing Voluntary and Community Sector Profiles’, available at www.navca.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9D87AB09-07E4-4959-89E2-25A2E0285E54/0/VCSProfiles.pdf.
- Rupasingha, A., S. Goetz, and D. Freshwater (2006) ‘The Production of Social Capital in US Counties’, Journal of Socioeconomics, 35, 83–101.Google Scholar
- Salamon, L. M. and H. K. Anheier (1996) The Emerging Nonprofit Sector: An Overview (Manchester: Manchester University Press).Google Scholar
- United Nations Department of Economic Affairs (2003) Handbook on Nonprofit Institutions in the System of National Accounts; available at http://unstats.un.org/unsd/publication/SeriesF/SeriesF_91E.pdf.
- Wolfenden Committee (1978) The Future of Voluntary Organizations: Report of the Wolfenden Committee (London: Croom Helm).Google Scholar