Budo philosophy classifies a coherent set of views that has been developed over a period of approximately 400 years as the discursive matrix of the teachings of Japanese martial arts. As a lifestyle it is known as the way (do) of the warrior (bu). The exponentially growing power of the Japanese economy in the 1980s raised questions about the specific role of this martial tradition with its psychology of alertness, determination, endurance, and loyalty. It was thought to be one of the keys to the overwhelming success of Japanese corporations. As a result a vast number of books were published trying to explain the relation between so-called samurai mentality and business.
KeywordsBusiness Ethic Servant Leadership Corporative Entrepreneurship Japanese Economy Spiritual Aspect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deshimura, Taisen. 1977. Zen & Arts Martiaux. Paris: Albin Michel.Google Scholar
- Draeger, Donn F. 1973–1975. The Martial Arts and Ways of Japan: Volumes I, II, III. New York and Tokyo: Weatherhill.Google Scholar
- Isozaki, Arata. 1979. “Ma: Japanese Time–Space.” In The Japanese Architect: International Edition of Shinkenchiku, no. 262, p. 69–80.Google Scholar
- Musashi, Miyamoto. 1982. TheBook of the Five Rings: The Real Art of Japanese Management. New York: Bantam Books.Google Scholar
- Oosterling, Henk. 2000. “A Culture of the Inter. Japanese Notions of Ma and Basho.” In Heinz Kimmerle & Henk Oosterling (eds), Sensus Communis in Multi- and Intercultural Perspective: On the Possibility of Common Judgements in Arts and Politics, pp. 61–84. Würzburg: Königshausen & Neumann.Google Scholar
- Random , Michael. 1985. Japon. La stratégie de l’invisible. Paris: éditions du Félin.Google Scholar
- Ratti, Oscar and Adele Westbrook. 1973. Secrets of the Samurai: A Survey of the Martial Arts of Feudal Japan. Rutland, Tokyo: Charles E, Tuttle Company.Google Scholar
- Sun Tzu. 1963. The Art of War. Oxford, London, New York: OxfordUniversity Press.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, Daisetz, T. 1970 (1959). Zen and Japanese Culture. Bollingen Series LXIV, Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Ueshiba, Morihei. 2007. The Secret Teachings of Aikido. Tokyo, New York, London: Kodansha International.Google Scholar
- Yamamoto, Tsunetomo. 2001. Bushido: The Way of the Samurai. Justin F. Stone (ed.), trans. M. Tanaka, New York: Square One Classics.Google Scholar