India’s Economic Engagement with Sudan since the 1990s: Search for Energy Security and Beyond
Since the 1990s, in the era of increasing globalization, developing states such as India have employed several strategies to engage with other states in order to extract maximum advantages in the realm of trade, transfer of technology and natural resources such as oil. This chapter analyses the trends in India’s economic engagement from the 1990s onwards with Sudan, an oil rich state in North Africa. It raises and examines questions as to how the search for natural resources such as oil influences India’s foreign and economic relations; what are the major strategies adopted by her to obtain natural resources especially through transfer of technology and what role this plays in India’s ties with Sudan in various sectors other than oil as a result of the ‘spill over effects.’
KeywordsEnergy Security Energy Information Administration Human Right Watch Economic Engagement Comprehensive Peace Agreement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Africa Digest (2006) Views Expressed by Xia Yishan, Director, Energy Research Centre, and Senior Research Fellow, China Institute of International Studies, in an Interview with Suresh Kumar, March 2006.Google Scholar
- Angelique International Limited (2010) ‘About Us’ http://www.angelique-india.com/main.html (accessed 12 April 2010).
- BP Statistical Review of World Energy (2007) http://www.bp.com (accessed 15 April 2010).
- BP Statistical Review of World Energy (2008) http://www.bp.com (accessed 15 April 2010).
- Business Standard (2006) ‘India, China to Form JV for Oil Assets’ http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/india-china-to-form-jv-for-oil-assets/266027/ (accessed 27 November 2006).
- Business Week (2004) ‘How A Thirst for Energy Led to a Thaw,’ 15 November, New York: Bloomberg L.P.Google Scholar
- CPA Document (2004) ‘The Comprehensive Peace Agreement between The Government of the Republic of The Sudan and The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Sudan People’s Liberation Army’ http://www.aec-sudan.org/docs/cpa/cpa-en.pdf (accessed 15 June 2010).
- Chhabra, Hari Sharan (1998) ‘Foreign Policy in Information Age,’ World Focus, 19(2).Google Scholar
- Essar (2010) ‘Essar Plans Mobile Foray Across South Asia, Africa’ http://www.essar.com/article.aspx?cont_id=6sDEuxkWRTU= (accessed 15 April 2010).
- EXIM Bank (2010) ‘Exim Bank Extends US$25 mn LOC To Government of Sudan,’ (Press Release) http://www.eximbankindia.com/press29010asp (accessed 15 April 2010).
- FICCI (2007) http://www.ficci.com (accessed 15 May 2007).
- Flynu, Norman (1989) ‘The New Right and Social Politics,’ Policy and Politics, 8(2), New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Government of India (GoI) (2004) Annual Report 2003–2004, New Delhi: Policy Planning and Research Division, MEA.Google Scholar
- Gupta, Asha (2000) Beyond Privatisation, London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Harshe, Rajen (2005) ‘Recasting Indo-African Development Cooperation,’ in Harshe, Rajen and K. M. Seethi (eds) Engaging with the World: Critical Reflections on India’s Foreign Policy, New Delhi: Orient Longman.Google Scholar
- Human Rights Watch (HRW) (2007a) ‘Sudan, Oil and Human Rights http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/sudan1103 (accessed 15 April 2007).
- HRW (2007b) ‘Sudan: Oil Companies Complicit in Rights Abuses’ http://www.hrw.org/africa/sudan.php (accessed 20 May 2007).
- Indian Embassy in Sudan (2010) ‘India and Sudan: Partners in Development’ http://indembsdn.com/eng/india_sdn_partners.htm (accessed 15 March 2010).
- Indo-Arab Forum (2010) http://www.indoarabforum.com (accessed 16 March 2010).
- Jiali, Ma (2010) ‘India, China Stock Energy Bond,’ China Daily, 2 February.Google Scholar
- Mograby, Asim I El (2009) ‘Oil Development in Sudan,’ in Beri, Ruchita and Uttam Kumar Sinha (eds.) Africa and Energy Security: Global Issues, Local Responses, New Delhi: Academic Foundation.Google Scholar
- Mutalik-Desai, Priya (1973) ‘Bilateral Trade Agreements: The Indo-Sudan Experience,’ Economic and Political Weekly, 8(19).Google Scholar
- News OneIndia (2010) http://www.oneindia.com (accessed 16 March 2010).
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) (2006) Statistics and Information www.ongcindia.com (accessed 15 November 2006).
- ONGC-Videsh Limited (ONGC-VL) (2010) Statistics and Information http://www.ongcvidesh.com/Assets.aspx?tab=2#Sudan (accessed 15 March 2010).
- Pant, Girijesh (2009) ‘Thinking Energy Security in the Global Age,’ in Beri, Ruchita and Uttam Kumar Sinha (eds) Africa and Energy Security: Global Issues, Local Responses, New Delhi: Academic Foundation.Google Scholar
- Robertson, Roland (1992) Globalization: Social Theory and Global Culture, London: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Stephanie Hanson and Council on Foreign Relations (2009) ‘Fractured Lines,’ Newsweek, 4 March.Google Scholar
- Sudan Tribune (2003) ‘OVL Sets Sight on Majority Stake in New Sudan Block’, 3 August http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article93 (accessed 15 November 2009).
- Sudan Tribune (2006) ‘75 Indian Companies Organize Mega Trade Show in Sudan’, 14 August www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article17071 (accessed 15 November 2009).
- Sudan Vision (2006) ‘Indian Power Expertise to Sudan for Oil, Gas Blocks’, 3 December http://www.sudanvisiondaily.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=9268 (accessed 15 November 2009).
- Thaindian News (2009) ‘India, Sudan Inc. Deal on Expanding Energy Ties,’ 8 December http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/business/india-sudan-ink-deal-on-expandingenergyties_100286344.html (accessed 15 May 2009).
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited (TCIL) (2010) ‘About Sudan Electronic City’ http://www.tcil-india.com/new/html/sec.htm (accessed 15 March 2010)
- The Hindu (2004) ‘Indo-Sudan Railways Pact Key to Economic Cooperation,’ 30 March (accessed 15 February 2008).Google Scholar
- The Hindu (2006) ‘ICSA India Deal with Sudan Power Utility’ http://www.hindu.com/2006/04/08/stories/2006040805191601.htm (accessed 8 April 2006).
- The Reuters (2009) Fact Box — India’s Crude Oil Imports by Country in April-September 2009,’ 20 November http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSDEL50257220091120(accessed 15 January 2010).
- The Tribune (2005) ‘BHEL to set up 1,000-Mega Watt Plant in Sudan’ http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20051117/biz.htm#1 (accessed 17 November 2005).
- The Tribune (2006) ‘ONGC to Get 15,000 bpd from Sudan Oil Block’ http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060923/biz.htm#11 (accessed 23 September 2006).
- The US Energy Information Administration (2010) ‘Sudan: Oil’ http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Sudan/Oil.html (accessed 15 March 2010).