This compendium is the outcome of an international workshop titled South-South Cooperation: Africa on the Centre Stage, organized by the Centre for African Studies, University of Mumbai, in February 2008. At the working sessions several academics agreed that the continent was on centre stage of the emergent global reconfigurations while others were more sceptical and questioned, Africa on the centre stage?
KeywordsEuropean Union African Country World Trade Organization Washington Consensus World Investment Report
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Africa Economic Outlook (AEO) (2010) http://www.africaneconomicoutlook.org/en/, date accessed 3 September 2010.
- Africa-EU Summit (2010) ‘Third Africa EU Summit’ 29–30 November, Reference: Memo/10/604, Brussels, 24 November 2010, http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleas-esAction.do?reference=MEMO/10/604&type=HTML, date accessed 10 December 2010.Google Scholar
- Africa Investor (2010) ‘Rwanda Tops EAC as Best Business Haven,’ 26 May, http://www.africa-investor.com/article.asp?id=6967, date accessed 3 December 2010.
- Allafrica.com (2010) ‘Gaddafi Opens Africa-EU Summit,’ 30 November, http://allafrica.com/stories/201011301081.html, date accessed 10 December 2010.
- Doing Business Survey (2009) in AEO, ‘Economic Governance,’ http://www.africaeconomicoutlook.org/en/outlook/political-and-economic-governance, date accessed 3 December 2010.
- Khanna, Parag (2008) ‘Here Comes the Second World,’ Prospect, May, http://paragkhanna.com/Prospect%20%20Here%20Comes%20the%20Second%20World.pdf, date accessed 24 November 2010.
- Kothari, Rajni (1993) ‘Towards a Politics of the South,’ cited in The South Centre (1993) Facing the Challenge, Responses to the Report of the South Commission (London and New Jersey: ZED Books).Google Scholar
- Lowe, Christian (2010) ‘Gaddafi Issues Warning to EU over African Trade,’ Reuters News, 29 November, http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AS3EV20101129, date accessed 9 December 2010.
- Mahajan, Vijay, and Robert E. Gunther (2008) Africa Rising (Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education).Google Scholar
- Modi, Renu (2009) ‘Africa on the Move: From No Alternative to Many Alternatives,’ Africa Quarterly, Vol. 49, No. 2, November–December (New Delhi: Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR)).Google Scholar
- Mugabe, Bonnie (2010) ‘Rwanda: Commonwealth Game Team off to New Delhi,’ 25 September, http://allafrica.com/stories/201009270271.html, date accessed 9 December 2010.
- Nevin, Tom (2008) ‘South-South Trade Fuels Investment Growth,’ African Business, March (London: IC Publications).Google Scholar
- Obasanjo, Olusegun (1996) ‘A Balance Sheet of the African Region and the Cold War’, in Edmond J. Keller and Donald Rothchild (eds) Africa in the New International Order: Rethinking State Sovereignty and Regional Security (London: Lynne Rienner).Google Scholar
- Ramo, J. C. (2004) ‘The Beijing Consensus: Notes on the New Physics of Chinese Power,’ chapter 1, http://fpc.org.uk/fsblob/244.pdf, date accessed 4 November 2010.
- Stanley, Henry Morton (1888) Through the Dark Continent (UK: Dover Publications).Google Scholar
- Stiglitz, Joseph (2000) ‘Unraveling the Washington Consensus: an Interview with Joseph Stiglitz,’ Multinational Monitor, April, Vol. 21, No. 4, http://multinationalmonitor.org/mm2000/00april/interview.html, date accessed 3 January 2010.
- The South Centre (1993) Facing the Challenge, Responses to the Report of the South Commission (London and New Jersey: ZED Books).Google Scholar
- The Telegraph (2010) ‘Rwanda Joins the Commonwealth,’ 12 November, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/rwanda/6685316/Rwanda-joins-the-Commonwealth.html, date accessed 9 December 2010.
- Williamson, John (ed.) (1990) Latin American Adjustment: How Much Has Happened (Washington, D.C.: Institute for International Economics).Google Scholar
- Williamson, John (1999) ‘What Should the World Bank Think About the Washington Consensus?’ Paper presented in the Internal World Bank Conference in July 1999 and prepared as a background to the World Bank’s World Development Report 2000, July, http://www.iie.com/publications/papers/paper.cfm?ResearchID=351, date accessed 2 December 2010.
- Wilson, Dominic and Anna Stupnytska (2007) ‘The N-11: More Than an Acronym,’ Global Economics Paper, No 153, March, http://www2.goldmansachs.com/ideas/global-economic-outlook/n-11-acronym-doc.pdf, date accessed 10 December 2010.
- World Bank (2008–2009) Africa Development Indicator, ‘50 Things You Did Not Know About Africa,’ http://web.worldbank.org/, date accessed 26 January 2010.
- World Investment Directory (WID) (2008) FDI/TNC Databases and Tables B.1 and B.3, http://www.unctad.org/fdistatistics, date accessed 23 October 2009.
- World Investment Report (WIR) (2008) ‘Transnational Corporation and the Infrastructure Challenge,’ http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/wir2008_en.pdf, date accessed 28 October 2009.
- WIR (2009) http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/wir2009overview_en.pdf, date accessed 3 November 2010.
- Zoellick, Robert B. (2010) ‘The End of the Third World? Modernizing Multilateralism for a Multipolar World,’ Speech at Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars, News and Broadcast, The World Bank, 14 April, http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/NEWS/0,contentMDK:22541126~pagePK:34370~piPK:42770~theSitePK:4607,00.html, date accessed 18 May 2010.Google Scholar