The Urban Dibao: Guarantee for Minimum Livelihood or for Minimal Turmoil?
- 380 Downloads
In China, we allow some people to become rich first through their own efforts, but an excessive income gap will destabilize social order, and is something that needs government attention…The side effects of this huge gap are mainly seen in the following… aspects. First, as earnings increase, living standards have been generally raised, but low-income groups are slow to reap the rewards of this prosperity for a number of reasons. In the long term, this will trigger emotional dissatisfaction and affect social stability… (D. Wang, 2007)
KeywordsPoverty Line World Trade Organization Urban Resident Social Stability Civil Affair
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bakken, B. (2000) The Exemplary Society: Human Improvement, Social Control, and the Dangers of Modernity in China (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Benkan jizhe/xinwen, benkan tongxunyuan/Liu Jing (2002) ‘Guanzhu chengshi dishouru qunti: Wuhanshi qiaokouqu chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang gongzuo toushi’, [This paper’s reporter Xin Wen, this paper’s correspondent, Liu Jing, Pay close attention to urban low-income masses: Wuhan’s Qiaokou district’s urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee work perspective], Hubei caishui [Hubei finance and taxes], 2: 4–5.Google Scholar
- Chengshi dibao: tashang xin zhengcheng [The urban dibao: step onto a new journey] (2000), Zhongguo minzheng (ZGMZ hereafter) [China civil affairs], 1: 24–5.Google Scholar
- Chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang tiaoli [Regulations on the urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee] (1999), ZGMZ, 11: 16–17. ‘China’s subsistence allowance system benefits urban, rural poor equally’, accessed 24 January 2008, at http://english.people.com.con/90001/90776/6344770.html.
- Cook, S. (2008) ‘The Challenge of Informality: Perspectives on China’s changing labour market’, Paper for IDS Bulletin.Google Scholar
- Di shi’erci quanguo minzheng huiyi zai Jing juxing (2006) [The 12th National Civil Affairs Conference Held in Beijing], ‘Yongxin liaojie sheqing menyi; bangzhu qunzhong paiyou jienan’ [Wen Jiabao: Be attentive and understand social conditions and popular sentiments, help the masses to get rid of worries and overcome difficulties], http://china.com.cn/city/txt/2006-11/28/content_7420827.htm.
- Dibao jiating zinu shang daxue jiuzhujin tigaole [The relief funds for the sons and daughters of dibao families who are going to college] (2007) Zhongguo Ezhou zhengfu menhu wangzhan [China Ezhou government portal website], 8 August.Google Scholar
- Ding, L. (1999) ‘Cong danwei fuli dao shehui baozhang – ji zhongguo chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de dansheng’ [From unit welfare to social security – recording the emergence of Chinese urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ, 11: 6–7.Google Scholar
- Feng, L., Bao, S., Chen, M. (2002) ‘Liaoning shebao gaige chongguan’ [Liaoning’s social security reform’s important period], Liaowang, 11: 26–7.Google Scholar
- Gansusheng renmin zhengfu bangongting guanyu zhuanfa ‘Gansusheng chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang banfa’ de tongzhi (2002) [Gansu Province people’s government office notice on transmitting ‘Gansu Province urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee method’], Caikuai yanjiu [Finance and accounting research], 5: 58–60.Google Scholar
- Gong, G. (2000) “Dibao” zhong de jizhong cuowu renshi [Several kinds of mistaken understandings in the dibao], ZGMZ, 4: 34.Google Scholar
- Guangzhoushi Liwanqu dibaohu meiyue ke huode 20 yuan tihuoquan [Guangzhou city’s Liwan district’s dibao households each month can get 20 yuan of goods certificates] 2007, Guangzhou ribao, 18 August 2007, accessed 20 August 2007, at http://news.xinhuanet.com/local/2007-08/18/content_6556887.htm.
- Hainan guiding piaochang ji weifan jihua shengyuzhe bu de xiangshou dibao [Hainan regulates that those who visiting prostitutes and violate birth planning cannot enjoy dibao], Zhongguowang, 4 September 2006, china.com.cn.Google Scholar
- Hong, Z. (2002) ‘Lun shehui zuanli de ‘pinkun’ – zhongguo chengshi pinkun wenti de genyuan yu zhili lujing’ [Poverty of Social Rights: Dilemmas of Urban Poverty in China], Xiandai zhongguo yanjiu [Modern China Studies], 79(4): 9–10.Google Scholar
- Hussain, A. et al. (2002) ‘Urban poverty in the PRC’, Asian Development Bank Project No. TAR: PRC 33448.Google Scholar
- Jiang, Z. 1997, ‘Political report’, Summary of World Broadcasts FE/3023 (13 September), S1/1–S1/10.Google Scholar
- Jianli zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de jige wenti [Several issues in establishing the minimum livelihood guarantee system] (1996), ZGMZ, 9: 14.Google Scholar
- Jinan guiding maidiannao jingchang yongshoujizhe buneng xiangshou dibao [Jinan regulates that those who bought a computer or often use a cell phone can’t enjoy the dibao] 2007, Zhongguowang, 9 October 2006, china.com.cn, accessed 17 August 2007.Google Scholar
- Judt, T. (2007) ‘The Wrecking Ball of Innovation’, Review of Robert B. Reich, Supercapitalism: The Transformation of Business, Democracy and Everyday Life (New York: Knopf, 2007), The New York Review of Books, 6 December.Google Scholar
- Li, H. (1998) ‘Fenji zedan qieshi baozhang’ [By levels take responsibility for conscientiously guaranteeing – Guangdong’s Donghuang City’s way of implementing urban and rural residents’ minimal livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ, 1 (no pages).Google Scholar
- Lu, Y. (1998) ‘Shishi zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de sikao’ [Reflections on implementing the minimum livelihood guarantee system] (1998), ZGMZ, 4: 20.Google Scholar
- Mao, J. (1997) ‘Liguo limin de ningjuli gongcheng – Fan Baojun fubuzhang jiu chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu jianshe hui benkan jizhe wen’ [A cohesive project benefiting the nation and the people – Vice Minister Fan Baojun answers this journal’s reporter’s questions about the minimum livelihood guarantee system’s construction], ZGMZ, 4: 4–6.Google Scholar
- Meng, J. and Tan, Z. (1996) ‘Wuhan chengshi zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de sige tedian’ [Four characteristics of Wuhan city’s minimum livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ, 7: 19.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Finance (2008) ‘Report on the implementation of the central and local budgets for 2007 and on the Draft Central and Local Budgets for 2008’ http://www.china.org.cn/government/NPC_CPPCC_sessions2008/2008-03/18/content_12... accessed 26 May 2008.
- Mo, R. (2000), ‘Jiaru WTO yu woguo di jiuye’, Laodong baozhang tongxun [Labour and social security bulletin], 4: 18–21.Google Scholar
- N.a. (1999) ‘Xiao ziliao: Quanguo gechengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang biaojun’ [Small material: Nationwide various cities’ residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee norms], Shehui [Society], 6: 26.Google Scholar
- National urban and rural residents, the minimum livelihood guarantee system for equal coverage, Accessed 18 March 2008 at http://188.8.131.52/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zhCN&u=http://jys.ndrc.gov.cn/xinxi/t20080.Google Scholar
- Qinghaisheng minzhengting jiuzai jiujichu [Qinghai province Civil affairs Bureau, Disaster and Economic Relief Office] (1999) ‘Wanshan chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu’ [Perfect the urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ , 10: 24–5.Google Scholar
- Shouquan fabu: Guowuyuan guanyu jiejue chengshi dishouru jiating zhufang kunnan de ruogan yijian [Authorized announcement: Some opinions on the State Council’s solving urban low-income families’ housing difficulty] (2007) Xinhuawang, 13 August 2007, http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2007-08/13/content_6526964.htm, accessed on 14 August 2007.
- Solinger, D.J. (1991) From Lathes to Looms (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press).Google Scholar
- Tang, J. (2002a) ‘The new situation of poverty and antipoverty’, report published as a chapter of book edited by Ru Xin, Lu Xueyi, Li Peilin et al., 2002 nian: zhongguo shehui xingshi yu yuce (shehui lanpishu): [Year 2002: Analysis and Forecast of China’s Social Situatiuon (Blue Book on Chinese Society)], 1 January 2002. [FBIS Translated Text].Google Scholar
- Tang, J. (2002b) ‘The report of poverty and anti-poverty in urban China – the poverty problems in urban China and the programme of minimum living standard’, n.p.: ms.Google Scholar
- Tang, J. (2003) ‘Zhongguo chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de tiaoyueshi fazhan’ [The leap forward style of development of Chinese urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee], in Ru Xin, Lu Xueyi, and Li Peilin (eds) Shehui lanpishu: 2003 nian: zhongguo shehui xingshi fenxi yu yuce [Social blue book: 2003 analysis and predictions of China’s social situation] (Beijing: shehui kexue wenxian chubanshe [social science documents company]), pp. 243–51.Google Scholar
- Tang, J. (2004a) ‘Jiasu zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de guifanhua yunzuo’ [Speed up the standardization of the minimum livelihood guarantee system], in Ru Xin, Lu Xueyi, and Li Peilin, zhubian (eds), Shehui lanpishu: 2004 nian: zhongguo shehui xingshi fenxi yu yuce [Social blue book: 2004 analysis and predictions of China’s social situation],(Beijing: shehui kexue wenxian chubanshe [social science documents company], pp. 11–28.Google Scholar
- Tang, J. (2004b) ‘Selections from report on poverty and anti-poverty in urban China’, trans. William Crawford, Chinese Sociology & Anthropology, Winter 2003–4/Spring 2004 (Dorothy J. Solinger, guest editor).Google Scholar
- Tang, J. (2006) ‘Tiaozhengzhong de chengxiang zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu’, [The urban and rural minimum livelihood guarantee system in adjustment], in Ru Xin, Lu Xueyi, and Li Peilin, zhubian (eds), Shehui lanpishu: 2006 nian: zhongguo shehui xingshi fenxi yu yuce [Social blue book: 2006 analysis and predictions of China’s social situation] (Beijing: shehui kexue wenxian chubanshe [social science documents company]).Google Scholar
- Tang, J. (2008) ‘Jianli zonghe de zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu’ [Establish a comprehensive minimum livelihood guarantee system], http://thjp.vip.sina.com/M.htm, accessed on 18 March 2008.‘Urban minimum living subsidy increased’, Xinhua, 7 August 2007.
- Wang, D. (2007) Director General of Economic Faculty at the Party School of the Chinese Communist Party Central Committee, Comments at the invitation of the 21st Century Business Herald, 19 November 2007. Accessed at www.wsichina.org/ morningchina/archive/20071120.html.Google Scholar
- Wang, H (1996a), ‘Chengshi zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhiduzhong de zijin ji guanli’ [Funds and Managment in the Urban Minimum Livelihood Guarantee System], ZGMZ, 8: 25.Google Scholar
- Wang, H. (1996b) ‘Chengshi zuidi shenghuo baozhang gongzuo zhi wo jian’ [My opinion on the urban minimum livelihood guarantee work], ZGMZ, 10: 34.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y. (2004) Urban Poverty, Housing and Social Change in China (London and New York: Routledge).Google Scholar
- Wang, Z. and Wang, H. (1998) ‘Luoshi chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zijin ying chuli hao wuge guanxi’ [In order to implement urban residents’ minimun livelihood guarantee funds we need to handle five relationships well], ZGMZ, 3: 18–19.Google Scholar
- Wang, Z. (1999) ‘Chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang: Buru fazhihua guanli guidao’ [Urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee: Step into the orbit of legalized managment], ZGMZ ,11: 18–19.Google Scholar
- Wen, J. (2008) ‘Report on the work of the government’, Delivered at the First Session of the Eleventh National People’s Congress on 5 March 2008’ (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008npc/200803/19/content_6549177.htm, accessed 26 May 2008).
- West, L. A. (1997) ‘The Changing Effects of Economic Reform on Rural and Urban Employment’ Paper [to be] presented at ‘Unintended Social Consequences of Chinese Economic Reform’ conference, Harvard School of Public Health and The Fairbank Center for East Asian Studies, Harvard University, 23–4 May (Draft).Google Scholar
- Wo guo chengzhen jumin pinkunmian you duoda? [How large is the scale of poverty in our country?] (1997) Zhongguo xinxibao [China information], 7 March.Google Scholar
- Wu, B. (2001) ‘Zhongguo 36 ge chengshi zuidi shenghuo baozhang biaojun shizheng fenxi’ [Analysis of concrete evidence of 36 Chinese cities’ minimum livelihood guarantee norms], Shuliang jingji jishu jingji yanjiu [Quantitative economic statistical economy research], 4: 36–9.Google Scholar
- Wuhan huji pinkun daxuesheng kaishi shenqing shengyuandi xinyong zhuxue daikuan [Wuhan registered poor university students can begin to apply for credit loans for school assistance at the student’s [home] locality] 2007, Changjiang ribao [Yangzi daily], 2 September 2007.Google Scholar
- Xiangshou chengshi dibao zhengce jiating de zhongzhi xuesheng ke lingqu zhuxuejin [Students in middle vocational schools whose families enjoy the urban dibao policy can get funds to help with schooling] 2007, Xinhuawang, 18 July 2007. Xinhuanet (Beijing), 19 July 2002.Google Scholar
- Xu, D. (1998) ‘Jiada gongzuo lidu, chengxiang quanmian tuijin – Guangdong sheng jianli chengxiang hu (cun) min zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de zuofa’ [Strengthen work, carry out fully in the cities and rural areas – Guangdong province establishes a method for an urban and rural (village) resdients’ minimun livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ, 3: 9–10, 15.Google Scholar
- Xu, K. (1996) ‘Jianli chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu shizai bixing’ [Establishing an urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee system is imperative], ZGMZ, 10: 12.Google Scholar
- Yang, Z. and Zhang, Q, (1999) ‘Wuhanshi chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu shishi zhuangkuang de diaocha fenxi’ [Analysis of an investigation of the implementation situation of Wuhan’s urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee system], Jingji pinglun [Economic review], 4: 99–103.Google Scholar
- Youyu roujia dafu shangzhang; Hefei dibao duixiang mei ren huo 90 yuan butie [Because of the large rise in pork prices, Hefei dibao recipients will each get a subsidy of 90 yuan] 2007, Jianghuai chenbao [ Jianghuai morning paper], http://politics.people.com.cn/GB/14562/6075338.html, accessed 6 August 2007.
- Yuan, L. and Lin, C. (1998) ‘Ai ru chao yong – Qingdaoshi chengxiang zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu shishi jishi’ [Love like a rising tide – a true reporting of the Qingdao city urban and rural minimum livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ, 7: 10–11.Google Scholar
- Yuan, S. (1997) ‘Chongqing jianli chengshi zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de zuofa’ [Chongqing’s method of establishing an urban minimum livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ, 5: 22–3, 12.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L. (1998) ‘Quanmian tuijin guifan guanli – Hubeisheng jianli chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang zhidu de jingyan’ [Fully promote standardized management – Hubei province’s experience in establishing urban residents’ minimum livelihood guarantee system], ZGMZ, 9: 24.Google Scholar
- Zhonggong zhongyang zuzhibu ketizu [Chinese central organization department research group] (2001), 2000–2001 Zhongguo diaocha baogao – xin xingshixia renmin neibu maodun yanjiu [2000–2001 Chinese investigation report – research on internal contradictions within the people under the new situation] (Beijing: Zhongyang bianyi chubanshe [Central Complation & Translation Press]).Google Scholar
- Zhongguo chengshi jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang biaojun de xiangguan fenxi, jingji qita xiangguan lunwen [Chinese urban residents’ dibao norm’s relevant analysis; economic and other related treatises] (hereafter ‘Zhongguo chengshi’) http://www.ynexam.cn/html/jingjixue/jingjixiangguan/2006/1105/zhongguochengshijimin..., accessed 18 August 2007.
- Zhongguo jianli chengxiang shehui jiuzhu tixi 7 qianwan kunnan qunzhong ganshou wennuan yangguang [China constructs an urban–rural social relief system, 70 million masses in difficulty feel warm sunshine] (hereafter “Zhongguo jianli”), http://china.com.cn/txt/2006-11/30/content_7429928.htm.
- Zhonghua renmin gongheguo guojia tongjiju bian [Chinese People’s Republic national statistical bureau, ed.], (2007), 2007 Zhongguo tongji nianjian [China Statistical Yearbook] (Beijing: Zhongguo tongji chubanshe [China Statistics Press].Google Scholar
- Zhu, Q. (2004) Jumin shenghuo zhiliang bianhua he xiaofei shichang de xin dongxiang [New trends in the changes in [urban] residents’ quality of life and the consumption market], in Ru Xin, Lu Xueyi, and Li Peilin, zhubian (eds), Shehui lanpishu: 2004 nian: zhongguo shehui xingshi fenxi yu yuce [Social blue book: 2004 analysis and predictions of China’s social situation] (Beijing: shehui kexue wenxian chubanshe [social science documents company]).Google Scholar