Dr D. was delighted when he learned that his home university had accepted his proposal to transfer the intellectual property rights related to the new molecule he had discovered. Laboratory tests had shown that this molecule could cure a special kind of liver disease affecting millions of people across the world. With exclusive access to such a technology in hand, Dr D. was convinced that investors would queue to finance his new venture. A systematic assessment of his innovation, however, revealed several important issues, which are summarized here.
KeywordsDiscount Rate Cash Flow Business Model Venture Capitalist Business Plan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blastland, M. and Dilnot, A. (2007), The Tiger That Isn’t: Seeing Through a World of Numbers, London, Profile Books.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C. M. and Raynor, M. E. (2003), The Innovator’s Solution, Boston, MA, Harvard Business School Press, Chap. 3.Google Scholar
- Copeland, T., Koller, T. and Murrin, J. (2000), Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies, Hoboken, NJ, John Wiley.Google Scholar
- Dalkir, K. (2005), Knowledge Management in Theory and Practice, Oxford, Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Davila, T., Epstein, M. J. and Shelton, R. (2006), Making Innovation Work, Philadelphia, PA, Wharton School Publishing, pp. 75–79.Google Scholar
- Knight, F. (1971), Risk, Uncertainty and Profit, University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Kotler, P. (2001), Marketing Management, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. (1996), “What Is Strategy?”, Harvard Business Review, November/ December, pp. 61–78.Google Scholar
- Razgaitis, R. (2003), Dealmaking: Using Real Options and Monte Carlo Analysis, Hoboken, NJ, John Wiley.Google Scholar
- Robock, S. H. and Simmonds, D. (1989), International Business and Multinational Enterprises, Homewood, Ill, Richard D. Irwin, Ch. 11.Google Scholar
- Wood, M. B. (2004), Marketing Planning, Principles into Practice, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar