Key Historical Events. The state was formerly the Eastern Province of Pakistan. In 1970 the Awami League gained 167 seats out of 300 at the Pakistan general election and made known their wish for greater independence for the province. Following a civil war in 1971 Bangladesh was proclaimed independent. For developments between Jan. 1975 and March 1982, see The Statesman’s Year-Book, 1986–87, pp. 186–187.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Statistical Yearbook of Bangladesh.—Statistical Pocket Book of Bangladesh.Google Scholar
- Baxter, C., Bangladesh: a New Nation in an Old Setting. Boulder (CO), 1986Google Scholar
- Chowdhury, R., The Genesis of Bangladesh. London, 1972Google Scholar
- Hajnoczy, R., Fire of Bengal. Bangladesh Univ. Press, 1993Google Scholar
- O’Donnell, C. P., Bangladesh: Biography of a Muslim Nation. Boulder (CO), 1986Google Scholar
- Ziring, L., Bangladesh from Mujib to Ershad: an Interpretive Study. OUP, 1993Google Scholar
- National statistical office: Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Planning, DhakaGoogle Scholar