St Christopher (St Kitts)—Nevis
St Christopher (known to its Carib inhabitants as Liamuiga) and Nevis were discovered and named by Columbus in 1493. They were settled by Britain in 1623 and 1628 respectively, but ownership was disputed with France until 1713. Forming part of the Leeward Islands Federation from 1871 to 1956, and part of the Federation of the West Indies from 1958 to 1962. In Feb. 1967 the colonial status was replaced by an ‘association’ with Britain, giving the islands full internal self-government, while Britain remained responsible for defence and foreign affairs. St Christopher-Nevis became fully independent on 19 Sept. 1983.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- National Accounts. Statistics Division, Ministry of Development (annual) St Kitts and Nevis Quarterly. Statistics Division, Ministry of DevelopmentGoogle Scholar
- Gordon, J., Nevis: Queen of the Caribees. London, 1985Google Scholar
- Library: Public Library, Basseterre. Librarian: Miss V. Archibald.Google Scholar