Cisgender Parents of Transgender Young People
This chapter focuses on cisgender parents of transgender children. It particularly problematises “loss” narratives, emphasising that feelings of “loss” relate to the context of cisgenderism and a loss of certitude, rather than relating to individual children themselves. After examining the previous literature that has explored the experience of cisgender parents of transgender children in the context of schools, the chapter draws on two data sets. The first is a survey of the experiences of Australian cisgender parents of transgender children, and the second is an analysis of first-person narratives in books published by and for parents of transgender children. The chapter examines both the positive and negative experiences that parents of transgender children have with schools, highlighting that schools which are proactive in developing and implementing inclusive policies and procedures are likely to provide the best educational experiences.
- Baldwin, D. R. (2015). Parents’ experiences as they interact with their transgender children’s school (Unpublished Master’s thesis). North Dakota State University.Google Scholar
- Barron, C., & Capous-Desyllas, M. (2017). Transgressing the gendered norms in childhood: Understanding transgender children and their families. Journal of GLBT Family Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/1550428X.2016.1273155.
- Brill, S., & Kenney, L. (2016). The transgender teen: A handbook for parents and professionals supporting transgender and non-binary teens. Jersey City: Cleis Press.Google Scholar
- Brill, S., & Pepper, R. (2008). The transgender child: A handbook for families and professionals. San Francisco: Cleis Press.Google Scholar
- Johnson, D., Sikorski, J., Savage, T. A., & Woitaszewski, S. A. (2014). Parents of youth who identify as transgender: An exploratory study. School Psychology Forum, 8(1), 56–74.Google Scholar
- Kitzinger, C. (1990). The token lesbian chapter. In S. Wilkinson (Ed.), Feminist social psychologies: International perspectives. Buckingham: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Nutt, A. E. (2016). Becoming Nicole: The extraordinary transformation of an ordinary family. London: Atlantic Books.Google Scholar
- Whittington, H. (2016). Raising Ryland: Our story of parenting a transgender child with no strings attached. New York: William Morrow.Google Scholar