Delivering Education Across Borders in the European Union National Responses to the Services Directive
In a series of landmark rulings on the Services Directive, the Court of Justice of the EU has established that Member Countries may not restrict for-profit franchised or validated study programs being offered on their territory by higher education institutions from other Member countries. This article summarizes the results of a 2012 research project funded by the European Commission (Brandenburg et al. Delivering education across borders in the European Union. European Union, 2013). This research has mapped the cross-border delivery of higher education services within the then-27 EU Member States (being offered by both EU and non-EU based institutions) and provided an analysis of the regulatory frameworks regarding cross-border higher education activities at the Member State level.
KeywordsEuropean Union High Education Institution European Union Member State Student Mobility Stakeholder Organisation
- Brandenburg, U., McCoshan, A., Bischof, L., Kreft, A., Storost, U., Leichsenring, H., et al. (2013). Delivering education across borders in the European Union. Brussels: European Union.Google Scholar
- European Union. (2006). Directive 2006/123/EC of the European Parliament and of the council of 12 December 2006 on services in the internal market, vom OJ L 376, S. 36–68. Online verfügbar unter. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32006L0123
- European Court of Justice. vom 13.11.2003. Aktenzeichen C-153/02.Google Scholar
- European Court of Justice. vom 24.10.2008. Aktenzeichen C-274/05.Google Scholar
- European Court of Justice. vom 04.12.2008. Aktenzeichen C-151/07.Google Scholar
- Knight, J. (2006). Crossborder Education: An Analytical Framework for Program and Provider Mobility. In J. Smart, & B.Tierney (Eds.), Higher Education Handbook of Theory and Practice, (pp. 345-395). Dordecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- UNESCO, OECD. (2005). Guidelines for quality provision in cross-border higher education. Paris. Online verfügbar unter http://www.unesco.org/education/guidelines_E.indd.pdf zuletzt geprüft am 18.11.2014.
- Verbik, L., & Jokivirta, L. (2005). National regulatory frameworks for transnational higher education. Models and trends, Part 1. Observatory on Borderless Higher Education (OBHE) (Briefing Note, 22).Google Scholar