Technology Limitations in Policing (The Reality is…)
This chapter will discuss some of the most common issues and concerns associated with some of the modern technologies that are currently available to law enforcement. It will make use of the areas previously discussed, but provide for a real world, contextual position. It will consider body-worn cameras and electronic control devices, to social media, drones, and records management technology; each has its own set of issues that are being brought to light in an effort to allow law enforcement agencies to better implement these technologies.
KeywordsBody camera Drone Limitations Records management In-car camera Reality
- Alexander, H. (2014, April 30). $250 police drone crashes into Lake Conroe. The Houston Chronical. Available at: http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/article/250K-police-drone-crashes-into-Lake-Conroe-5435343.php.
- Berman, M., & Horwitz, S. (2015, May 1). Justice Dept. will spend $20 million on police body cameras nationwide. Washington Post. Available at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/05/01/justice-dept-to-help-police-agencies-across-the-country-get-body-cameras/.
- Department of Justice. (2012). Implementing a body worn camera program. Recommendations and lessons learned. 2012-CK-WX-K028. Available at: www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/472014912134715246869.pdf.
- Francescani, C. (2016, April 26). Ransomware hackers blackmail U.S. police departments. CNBC. Available at: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/26/ransomware-hackers-blackmail-us-police-departments.html.
- Green, S. (2009, November 17). Suit filed over officer’s release of unauthorized information. The Las Vegas Sun. Available at: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/nov/17/suit-filed-over-officers-release-unauthorized-info/.
- Griffith, D (2015, May 24). Kings of the Road. Police Technology. Available at: http://www.policemag.com/channel/technology/articles/2015/05/kings-of-the-road.aspx.
- Henry, J. (2015, September 15). Fallen drone injures 11-month old near Pasadena City Hall. The Pasadena Star-News. Available at: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/general-news/20150915/falling-drone-injures-11-month-old-near-pasadena-city-hall.
- Hill, K. (2012, March 1). The drone that crashed into a S.W.A.T. teams tank. Forbes. Available at http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/03/05/the-drone-that-crashed-into-a-s-w-a-t-teams-tank/#24fda23d5e19.
- Horne, P. (2014, January 25). FPD veteran employee demoted from deputy chief to lieutenant: Rahinsky. The Herald. Available at: http://www.williamsonherald.com/sports/article_0931afdc-e37d-5b18-8f8c-35dd24ece45b.html.
- King, S. (2015, August 25). Alabama police admit officer’s body camera was turned off before shooting man holding spoon. Available at: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/8/25/1415297/-Alabama-police-admit-officer-turned-off-body-camera-before-shooting-man-holding-spoon.
- Laine, R. (2009). Law enforcement and public perception: Race, ethnicity, and community policing. The Police Chief, 76(9). [electronic] Available at: http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&article_id=1883&issue_id=92009.
- Ludlow, R. (2015, August 15). Mansfield prison drone drug drop not the first in Ohio this year, Columbus dispatch. Available at: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/08/14/drone-drug-drop-ohio-prison.html.
- Martinelli, R. (2009). Taser ® ECD mentality. Available at: http://www.martinelliandassoc.com/pdf/Taser_Mentality-final.pdf.
- NIJ. (2014, March 18). Perceptions of treatment by Police. Race, Trust and Police Legitimacy. Available at: http://nij.gov/topics/law-enforcement/legitimacy/Pages/perceptions.aspx.
- Segall, B. (2009, March 25). Trooper in trouble over Facebook photos. Available at: http://www.wthr.com/story/10066071/trooper-in-trouble-over-facebook-photos.
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.