MAKTOOB in Amman: A Rose Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Maktoob launched the first Arabic-language Web site to offer an online e-mail service in 2000. At the time, the Web barely existed in the Arab world, and there were fewer than one million Arab-speaking Internet users. As the popularity of the Internet grew rapidly in the Middle East, Maktoob expanded to include messaging services, news, entertainment and other services tailored to the Arabic-speaking market.
KeywordsVenture Capital Arab World Unique User Venture Capital Funding Angel Investor
- Abdelkader, R. 2010. Meet the chief yahoo! of the Arab world. Dinar Standard, 5 Oct 2010. http://rimaabdelkader.journalism.cuny.edu/2009/10/06/meet-the-chief-yahoo-of-the-arab-world/
- Anzur, A. 2010. Lessons from creating the largest internet company in the Arab World: Samih Toukan. Webpreneur University, 15 Dec 2010. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vozm-8DHaA#aid=P6i5FjufVpA
- Boutin, P. 2009. Yahoo acquires maktoob, jumps into fast-growing Arabic ad market. Venture Beat, 25 Aug 2009. http://venturebeat.com/2009/08/25/yahoo-acquires-maktoob-jumps-into-fast-growing-arabic-ad-market/
- Clark, P., and S. A. Topol. 2013. Syria’s tech start-ups find refuge in Jordan. Bloomberg Businessweek, 29 Apr 2013. http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/113872-syrias-tech-startups-find-a-refuge-in-jordan.
- Ferris-Lay, C. 2011. Yahoo to double its staff in MENA, say CEO. Arabian Business, 9 June 2011. http://www.arabianbusiness.com/yahoo-double-its-staff-in-mena-says-ceo--404392.html
- Gara, T. 2012. Tea with FT Middle East: Samih Toukan. Financial Times, 9 July 2012. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8d8028c4-c9d5-11e1-844e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2w6csFZ88
- Ghandour, F. 2009. The Samih and Hussam Maktoob story is even more relevant today. Fadi Ghandour Blog, 27 Aug 2009. http://www.fadighandour.com/samih-and-hussam-maktoob-story-is-so-relevant-today
- MacMillan, D. 2009. Yahoo’s bold advance into the Middle East. Business Week, 27 Aug 2009. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2009/tc20090826_150597.htm
- Mahroum, S., J. M. Al-Bdour., E. Scott., S. Shouqar., and A. Arafat. 2013. Jordan: The atlas of Islamic world science and innovation case study. Royal Society & Organisation of the Islamic Conference. 2013. http://royalsociety.org/uploadedFiles/Royal_Society_Content/policy/projects/atlas-islamic-world/Atlas_Jordan.pdf
- Rocha, R., S. Farazi., R. Khouri., and R. Pearce. 2011. The status of bank lending to SMEs in the middle East and North Africa region: Results of a joint survey of the union of Arab bank. Policy Research Working Paper 5607, The World Bank &The Union of Arab Banks, Mar 2011. http://elibrary.worldbank.org/doi/pdf/10.1596/1813-9450-5607.
- Rusli, E. 2010. Entrepreneur to entrepreneur: Meet the ron conway of the middle East (TCTV). TechCrunch, 16 Sept 2013. http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/16/middle-east-ron-conway-fadi-ghandour-shervin-pishevar/
- Sindibad. 2012. Investment report in internet & technology startups in the Arab world: 2012 update. A Sindibad Business Report. 2012. http://static.wamda.com/web/uploads/resources/Sindibad-Investment-Report_Oct_20111.pdf
- Sweis, R. 2012. Unrest encourages start-up funding for the middle East. The New York Times, 6 June 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/world/middleeast/unrest-encourages-start-up-funding-for-the-middle-east.html?_r=2&&pagewanted=print.
- Wamda. 2013. The story of yahoo’s acquisition of maktoob [Case Study]. Wamda, 13 Oct 2013. http://www.wamda.com/2013/10/case-study-yahoo-acquisition-maktoob
- Wamda (2013) ‘5 Trends Driving VC Investment in the Arab World [Report]’, Wamda, 6th November 2013, http://www.wamda.com/2013/11/venture-capital-vc-investment-arab-world-report.
- WEF. 2013a. The global competitiveness report 2013-2014. World Economic Forum. http://www.weforum.org/reports/global-competitiveness-report-2013-2014
- WEF. 2013b. The Arab world competitiveness report 2013. European Bank of Reconstruction and Development & World Economic Forum. Geneva, May 2013. http://www.weforum.org/reports/arab-world-competitiveness-report-2013
- World Bank. 2013. Jordan economic monitor: Maintaining stability and fostering shared prosperity amid regional turmoil. The World Bank, Spring 2013. file:///F:/1%20Innovation%20-%20IPI%20Sami%202013/1%20Silicon%20Valley%20Project/1%20Maktoob/Lit%20review/WB%20report%20Spring%202013%20Jordan_EM_Spring_2013.pdfGoogle Scholar