Securing Sovereignty: Private Property, Indigenous Resistance, and the Rhetoric of Housing
In this chapter, I explore the Commonwealth Government’s Intervention into seventy-three targeted Aboriginal communities across Northern and Central Australia. I argue that a site of Indigenous resistance constructed by the Alyawarr people, Protest House, powerfully articulates the ways in which this policy continues the biopolitical regimes of racial warfare instantiated with white invasion. The chapter demonstrates how race operates within the settler-colonial state’s neoliberal agenda, notions of “private property”, and representations of housing in an attempt to reproduce and secure white sovereignty.
KeywordsAboriginal Community Aboriginal People Home Ownership Land Tenure Torres Strait Islander
- Adlam, N., & Gartress, A. (2007, June 22). Martial law. Nothern Territory News, p. 1, 7.Google Scholar
- Altman, J. (2007). Neo-paternalism and the destruction of CDEP. Canberra: Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research.Google Scholar
- Auditor-General for the Northern Territory. (2010). Strategic indigenous housing and infrastructure program June 2010 report to the Legislative Assembly. Darwin: Northern Territory Government.Google Scholar
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation. (2007, June 26). Lateline transcript: Govt orchestrating land grab. http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s1962845.htm. Accessed 4 June 2014.
- Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission. (1997). Bringing them home: Report of the national inquiry into the separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia.Google Scholar
- Australian Medical Association Report Card Series 2007: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health. (2007). Australian Medical Association.Google Scholar
- Australian National Audit Office. (2010). Government business managers in aboriginal communities under the northern territory response. http://www.anao.gov.au/Publications/Audit-Reports/2010-2011/Government-Business-Managers-in-Aboriginal-Communities-under-the-Northern-Territory-Emergency-Response/Audit-brochure. Accessed 20 Dec 2014.
- Brough, M. (2006). House of Representatives Hansard: 31 May 2006.Google Scholar
- Brough, M. (2007a, October 2). Alfred Deakin Lecture at Melbourne University. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/36764/20071026-1200/www.facs.gov.au/internet/minister3.nsf/content/alfred_deakin_02oct07.htm. Accessed 9 Mar 2011.
- Brough, M. (2007b). House of Representatives Hansard: 21 June 2007.Google Scholar
- Brough, M. (2007c). House of Representatives Hansard: 7 August 2007.Google Scholar
- Central Land Council. (2013). Land reform in the Northern Territory: Evidence not ideology. http://www.clc.org.au/publications/content/land-reform-in-the-northern-territory-paper. Accessed 10 Sept 2014.
- Chakravartty, P., & da Silva, D. F. (2012). Accumulation, dispossession, and debt: The racial logic of global capitalism—An introduction. American Quartely, 64(3), 361–385.Google Scholar
- da Silva, D. F. (2007). Toward a global idea of race. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Downs, R. (2009a, October 7). Media releases. https://interventionwalkoff.wordpress.com/media-releases/. Accessed 1 Nov 2014.
- Downs, R. (2009b). Stop the NT Intervention—Support the Ampilatwatja Walk Off!. https://interventionwalkoff.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/090823_ampilatwatja_supportletter1.pdf. Accessed 4 Nov 2014.
- Foucault, M. (2004). “Society must be defended:” Lectures at the college De France 1975–76. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Fox, L. (2008). “Re-possessing home:” A Re-analysis of gender, homeownership, and debtor default for feminst legal theory. William and Mary Journal of Women and the Law, 14(2), 243–294.Google Scholar
- Gibson, P. (2012). Return to the ration days: The northern territory intervention—grass roots experience and resistance. Ngiya: Talk the Law, 5(3), 58–107.Google Scholar
- Graham, C. (2009, August 5). Up to their ankles in sewage, a remote community’s patience runs out. Crikey. http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/08/05/up-to-their-ankles-in-sewage-a-remote-communitys-patience-runs-out/. Accessed 1 Nov 2014.
- Harris, M. (2011). Walk with us. Melbourne: Concerned Australians.Google Scholar
- Hirst, J. (2007, June 26). The myth of a new paternalism. The Australian, p. 12.Google Scholar
- Howard, J. (2007a, June 25). Address to the Sydney Institute, Four Seasons Hotel, Sydney. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/10052/20080118-1528/pm.gov.au/media/Speech/2007/Speech24394.html. Accessed 3 Mar 2011.
- Howard, J. (2007b, June 22). Interview with David Koch and Melissa Doyle Sunrise, Seven Network. http://pmtranscripts.dpmc.gov.au/release/transcript-15653. Accessed 1 Sept 2011.
- Howard, J. (2007c, June 21). Joint press conference with the Hon Mal Brough, Minister for Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/10052/20080118-1528/pm.gov.au/media/Interview/2007/Interview24380.html. Accessed 1 Feb 2011.
- Karvelas, P. (2007, June 22). Crusade to save Aboriginal kids. The Australian, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Korff, J. (2015, April 7). Aboriginal history timeline (1900–1969). Creative Spirits. http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/aboriginal-history-timeline-1900-1969. Accessed 20 Apr 2015.
- Kunoth-Monks, R. (2012). NT Intervention Forum—Rosalie Kunoth-Monks. Arena. http://arena.org.au/nt-intervention-forum-rosalie-kunoth-monks/. Accessed 10 Dec 2013.
- Markus, A. (1990). Governing savages: The Commonwealth and Aboriginies 1911–1939. Sydney: Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Parsons Brinckerhoff. (2015). Iraq power sector reconstruction. https://pbworld.com/capabilities_projects/iraq_power_sector_reconstruction.aspx. Accessed 9 Mar 2015.
- Rothwell, N. (2007, June 22). Nothing less than a new social order. The Australian, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- Snowdon, W. (2008, October 31). Successful conclusion to operation outreach. http://www.defence.gov.au/minister/74tpl.cfm?CurrentId=8397. Accessed 1 Apr 2015.
- Special Broadcasting Service. (2013). Former Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser has criticised a federal government push to introduce 99-year leaseholds over some Northern Territory communities, 27 November. http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/11/27/malcolm-fraser-criticises-governments-leasehold-plan. Accessed 12 Dec 2014.
- Vatskalis, K. (2008, April 30). Construction Industry to Learn More About Strategic Alliances. Northern Territory Government Media Release. Google Scholar