Transphobic Hate Crime: Making the Invisible Visible
I was walking with two friends, when a man started asking if I was a guy or a girl. When I didn’t answer and walked on, he started shouting louder, threatening to hit me. He then decided I was a girl and started singing a song about how he was going to rape me. He followed us down the road singing this song till he got bored of us not replying. – 22 year old trans man.
KeywordsGender Identity Hate Crime Critical Criminology Gender Expression Trans People
- Corcoran, H., Lader, D., & Smith, K. (2015). Hate crime, England and Wales, 2014/15, https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/467366/hosb0515.pdf
- European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights. (2014). Being trans in the European Union: Comparative analysis of EU LGBT survey data, http://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra-2014-being-trans-eu-comparative-0_en.pdf
- Gender Recognition Act 2015, No. 25/2015, Irish Statute Book.Google Scholar
- Haynes, A., Schweppe, J., Carr, J., Carmody, N., & Enright, S. (2015). Out of the shadows: Legislating for hate crime in Ireland. Limerick: HHRG/ICCL.Google Scholar
- Transgender Equality Network Ireland. (2013). Speaking from the margins: Trans mental health and wellbeing in Ireland. http://www.teni.ie/attachments/5bdd0cd5-16b6-4ab6-9ee6-a693b37fdbcf.PDF
- Transgender Equality Network Ireland. (2014). STAD: Stop Transphobia and discrimination report, http://www.teni.ie/attachments/95628615-9aea-4abb-86f4-5687da0e7335.PDF
- Transgender Equality Network Ireland. (2015). TransParenCI Evaluation, http://www.teni.ie/attachments/95628615-9aea-4abb-86f4-5687da0e7335.PDF
- Transgender Equality Network Ireland. (nda). Transgender/Gender Diversity, http://www.lgbtdiversity.com/attachments/4223a4f9-d37c-46c8-bb8a-95afaa4997ae.PDF
- Transgender Equality Network Ireland. (ndb). TENI Launch New Report Which Documents Hate Crimes Against Transgender People Transgender/Gender Diversity, http://www.teni.ie/page.aspx?contentid=1078
- Transgender Europe. (2015). Trans murder monitoring. http://tgeu.org/tmm-idahot-update-2015.
- Walters, M., & Paterson, J. (2015). ‘Transphobic hate crime and perceptions of the criminal justice system’, Submission to Inquiry on Transgender Equality. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282358678_Transphobic_hate_crime_and_perceptions_of_the_criminal_justice_system
- Williams, J. (2015). “Laverne Cox declares “state of emergency” due to trans murders”, http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/08/19/laverne-cox-declares-state-of-emergency-due-to-trans-murders/