Combating Racist Hate: An NGO Perspective
This chapter outlines the work of the European Network Against Racism (ENAR) Ireland as a civil society organisation (CSO) actor involved in combating racism. In particular, it outlines the functioning and role of the iReport.ie racist incident reporting system, some of the challenges of data collection and establishing reporting standards, and our work using strategic alliances and civil society networks to overcome those challenges. It also highlights an analysis of some of the data collected and what this can tell us about racism and hate crime today.
KeywordsCriminal Justice Civil Society Organisation Hate Crime African Descent Risk Avoidance
- CEJI. (2015). Facing facts forward conference for a victim centered approach to tackling hate crime: Conference report. http://www.ceji.org/sites/default/files/publications/Facing_Facts_Forward_Conference_Report.pdf.
- ENAR Ireland. (2013). Submission on integration, multiculturalism and combating racism to the Oireachtas joint committee on justice, defense and equality. http://enarireland.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ENAR-Ireland-Submission-to-JC-FINAL1.pdf.
- Garda Inspectorate. (2014). Crime investigation. https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/gsi-crime-investigation-full.pdf.
- Haynes, A., Schweppe, J., Carr, J., Carmody, N., & Enright, S. (2015). Out of the shadows: Legislating for hate crime in Ireland. https://ulir.ul.ie/handle/10344/4751.
- Kennedy, P. (2013). Treated differently? Evidence of racism and discrimination from a local perspective. http://dorasluimni.org/wp-content/uploads/pdf/publications/treateddifferently.pdf.
- Lentin, R., & McVeigh, R. (Eds.). (2002). Racism and anti-racism in Ireland. Dublin: BTP Publications.Google Scholar
- Lentin, R., & McVeigh, R. (2006). After optimism?: Ireland, racism and globalization. Dublin: Metro Eireann Publications.Google Scholar
- McVeigh, R. (2013). Race and criminal justice in Northern Ireland. http://nicem.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Race_and_Criminal_Justice_2013.pdf.
- Michael, L. (2015). Afrophobia in Ireland: Racism against people of African descent. Dublin: ENAR Ireland.Google Scholar
- Michael, L., & O’Curry, S. (2013a). Reports of racism in Ireland: 1st quarterly report of ireport.ie, July–August-September 2013. Dublin: ENAR Ireland.Google Scholar
- Michael, L., & O’Curry, S. (2013b). Reports of racism in Ireland: 2nd quarterly report of ireport.ie, October–December 2013. Dublin: ENAR Ireland.Google Scholar
- Michael, L., & O’Curry, S. (2014a) Reports of racism in Ireland: 3rd quarterly report of ireport.ie, January–March 2014. Dublin: ENAR Ireland.Google Scholar
- Michael, L., & O’Curry, S. (2014b). Reports of racism in Ireland: 4th quarterly report of ireport.ie, April–June 2014. Dublin: ENAR Ireland.Google Scholar
- Michael, L., & O’Curry, S. (2014c). Reports of racism in Ireland: 5th+6th quarterly reports of ireport.ie. July–December 2014. Dublin: ENAR Ireland.Google Scholar