Hate Crime: An Activist Physical Disability Perspective
There have been increasing rates of reported disability hate crime in Northern Ireland in the past number of years, but the true rates of such crimes remain hidden, with under-reporting a major issue for the community. As disability organisations working in Northern Ireland, we seek to raise awareness of disability hate crime, to increase confidence in reporting such crimes and to secure appropriate responses from the criminal justice system. This chapter will address the issue of under-reporting of disability hate crime in Northern Ireland and discuss some of the measures which have been taken to improve under-reporting. It will show by way of a case study that reporting of hate incidents is vital to ensure that the targeting of people does not escalate further.
KeywordsSexual Orientation Criminal Justice System Disable People Hate Crime Community Safety
- Criminal Justice Inspection Northern Ireland. (2007). Hate Crime in Northern Ireland – a Thematic Inspection of the Management of Hate Crime by the Criminal Justice System in Northern Ireland. Belfast: Office of the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.Google Scholar
- Criminal Justice Inspection Northern Ireland. (2010). Hate crime – A follow-up inspection of the management of hate crime by the criminal justice system in Northern Ireland. Belfast: Office of the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.Google Scholar
- Department of Justice Northern Ireland. (2012). Building safer, shared and confident communities, a community safety strategy for Northern Ireland 2012–2017. https://www.dojni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/doj/cs-strategy-20122017.pdf. Accessed April 2016.
- Institute of Conflict Research. (2009). Hate crime against people with disabilities: A baseline study of experiences in Northern Ireland. Belfast: Institute for Conflict Research.Google Scholar
- Northern Ireland Criminal Justice Board. (2010). Action Plan to Address Hate Crime Inspection Recommendations. Belfast: Northern Ireland Criminal Justice Board.Google Scholar
- PSNI. (2016a). Disability related hate crime. https://www.psni.police.uk/crime/hate-crime/disability-related-hate-crime/. Accessed April 2016.
- PSNI. (2016b). Hate motivation statistics. https://www.psni.police.uk/inside-psni/Statistics/hate-motivation-statistics/.
- The Northern Ireland Policing Board and the Police Service of Northern Ireland. (2014, March). Policing plan 2014–2017.Google Scholar
- Vincent, F., Radford, K., Jarman, N., Martynowicz, A., & Mary-Katherine Rallings, M.-K. (2009). Hate crime against people with disabilities: a baseline study of experiences in Northern Ireland. Belfast: Institute for Conflict Research.Google Scholar