London 2012: Urban Imagery and City Branding
Hosting and staging mega events, costing billions of pounds and taking years of planning, are the most expensive branding and repositioning strategies undertaken by cities. Not only are they hugely expensive, largely paid for by the resident population, which is promised to benefit from the occasion, they also have intended and unanticipated impacts on local communities. The justification for supporting such activities is the opportunity the event purports to promote the city and improve its standing in the competition to secure global capital and resources. Using official documents, policy papers, media sources and public relations materials, the rebranding opportunities of the London 2012 Olympics on the perceived identity of London and Great Britain will be analysed in this chapter.
KeywordsOlympic Game National Community International Olympic Committee Soft Power British Broadcasting Corporation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, S. (2008) ‘London Olympics: “Tacky” 2012 handover show attacked on official website’. The Telegraph, 27 August [online]. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/2631439/London-Olympics-Tacky-2012-handover-show-attacked-by-British-bloggers.html [Accessed 1 February 2014]
- Anholt, S. (2007) Competitive identity: The new brand management for nations, cities and regions. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- BBC (n.d) Mike talks to the top man at Eton Dorney [online]. Available at: http://audioboo.lm/channel/bbc-berkshire?cursor=1351840742&page=5 [Accessed 20 February 2014].
- BBC (2008) ‘People “doubt Olympics benefits” ‘.The British Broadcasting Corporation, 03 April [online]. Available at: http://news.bbc.co.Uk/l/hi/uk/7327693. stm [Accessed 11 February 2014]
- BBC (2010a) ‘London 2012 Olympic marathon route a “travesty”’. The British Broadcasting Corporation, 05 October [online]. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11471541 [Accessed 03 February 2014]
- BBC (2010b) ‘Legal action over London Olympics marathon route change’. The British Broadcasting Corporation, 08 November [online]. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11714513 [Accessed 3 February 2014].
- BBC (2010c) ‘London 2012: Team GB finish third in Olympic medal table’. The British Broadcasting Corporation, 12 August [online]. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/O/olympics/19232685 [Accessed 11 February 2014].
- Bird, C. (2012) ‘It’s a GREAT life’. Government Communication Services [online]. Available at: https://gcn.civilservice.gov.Uk/blog/2012/l 1/23/its-a-great-lile/ [Accessed 20 February 2014].
- Bloomfield (2013) ‘The soft parade’. Monocle, 69(7), pp.66–82.Google Scholar
- British Tourist Authority (BTA) (2013) ‘VisitBritain and VisitEngland annual report and accounts for the year ended 31 March 2013’. British Tourist Authority. London: The Stationery Office.Google Scholar
- Castells, M. (2000) The rise of the network society. Blackwell: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Cohen, D. (2012) ‘I enjoy bumping into BBC stars in the lilt but when Olympics are over we will be forced out ol our homes’. The London Evening Standard, 8 August.Google Scholar
- Currie, G., Jones, A. and Woolley, J. (2013) The travel demand management program for the London 2012 Olympic Games: Impacts and lessons. Paper presented at thel3th WCTR (The World Conference on Transportation Research), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.Google Scholar
- Dominiczak, P. (2012) ‘Come on feel the noise’. The London Evening Standard, 8 August.Google Scholar
- Dowling, S. (2012) ‘What do the world’s media make ol London 2012?’. The British Broadcasting Corporation, 09 August [online]. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/O/olympics/19193861 [Accessed 20 February 2014].
- FCO (2011) ‘Public diplomacy: The Olympic and Paralympic Games 2012’. House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee. London: The Stationery Office Limited. Friedmann, J. (1986) ‘The world city hypothesis’. Development and Change, 17, pp.69–83.Google Scholar
- Fryer, J. (2012) ‘Benny Hill and bikinis... it’s bonkers but brilliant! Beach volleyball hits Horse Guards Parade (and comes with a very strange soundtrack)’. MailOnline, 29 July [online]. Available at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ news/article-2180540/Olympics-Beach-vol... ach-Horse-Guards-Parade-beach-volleyball-taken-Britain-storm.html [Accessed 20 February 2014]
- FSB (2012) Transport and Olympics: The impact on London’s small businesses. [Online]. Available at: http://www.fsb.org.uk/policy/rpu/london/images/ transport%20and%20games%20position%20paper.pdf [Accessed 02 July 2012].
- GfK (2013) ‘London and Sydney knock Paris off the “Best City” pedestal’. GfK Press Release, 30 September [online]. Available at: http://www.gfk.com/us/ news-and-events/press-room/press-releases/pages/london-and-sydney-knock-paris-off-the-best-city-pedestal.aspx [Accessed 4 December 2013]
- Gruneau, R. (2002) ‘Foreword’, in Lowes, M. (ed.) Indy dreams and urban nightmares. Toronto: Toronto University Press, pp. ix-xii.Google Scholar
- Harvey, D. (1989) The urban experience. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Hedrick-Wong, Y. and Choog, D. (2013) ‘MasterCard global destination cities index’. MasterCard Worldwide Insights [online]. Available at: http://insights.mastercard.com/position-papers/top-20-global-destination-cities-in-2013/ [Accessed 20 February 2014].
- Holloway, L. and Hubbard, P. (2001) People and place: The extraordinary geographies of everyday life. Harlow: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Home, J. and Manzenreiter, W. (2006) ‘An introduction to the sociology of sports mega events’. The Sociological Review, 54(2), pp.1–24.Google Scholar
- Jones, S. (2012) ‘Branding London: Selling an Olympic city of contradictions’. The Guardian, 16 July [online]. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/ jul/16/london-2012-olympics-marketing-capital [Accessed 4 December 2013]
- Jones, A. and Woolley, J. (2014) ‘Global events and local conflicts’, in Merkel, U. (ed.) Power, politics and international events: Socio-cultural analyses of festivals and spectacles. Oxon: Routledge, pp. 105–25.Google Scholar
- Kotier, P. (1997) Marketing management: Analysis, planning, implementation and control. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall InternationalGoogle Scholar
- Lee, M., Warner, A. and Bond, D. (2006) The race for the 2012 Olympics: The inside story of how London won the bid. London: Random House.Google Scholar
- Lyall, S. (2012) ‘The Olympic spirit, British style: When will this nightmare end?’. New York Times, 19 July [online]. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/ 2012/07/20/sports/olympics/olympics-leave-british-complaining-even-more-than-usual.html?_r=0 [Accessed 4 February 2014].
- MacRury, I. and Poynter, G. (2010) ‘“Team GB” and London 2012: The paradox ol national and global identities’. The International Journal of the History of Sport, 27(16-18), pp.2958–75.Google Scholar
- MailOnline (2011) ‘Picture special: Glorious Greenwich wows riders in test event ahead ol 2012’. Daily Mail, 04 July [online]. Available at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2011068/LONDON-2012-OLYMPICS-Greenwich-equestrian-site-pictures.html [Accessed 3 February 2014]
- Moban, S. (2012) ‘FPC briefing: A “new hope” as the “empire strikes back”-British soft power in 2013’. The Poreign Policy Centre, 18 November [online]. Available at: http://lpc.org.uk/lsblob/1532.pdlAccessed [16 February 2014].
- Morgan, N, Pritchard, A. and Pride, R. (eds.) (2011) Destination brands: Managing place reputation. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- The New Zealand Herald (2012) ‘Olympics: Closing ceremony review’. The New Zealand Herald, 13 August [online]. Available at: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/ sport/news/article.clm?c_id=4&objectid=10826622 [Accessed 9 February 2014]
- Owen, J. G. (2005) ‘Estimating the cost and benefit ol hosting Olympic Games: What can Beijing expect from its 2008 Games?’. The Industrial Geographer, 3(1), pp.1–18.Google Scholar
- Papapostolou, A. (2012) ‘IOC President Jacques Rogge calls London Home ol the Olympics; Forgets Greece’. Greek Reporter, 28 July [online]. Available at http://eu.greekreporter.com/2012/07/28/ioc-president-jacques-rogge-calls-london-home-ol-the-olympics-lorgets-greece/ [Accessed 01 February 2014]
- Prynn, J. (2013) ‘Record tourist boom boosts London’. The London Evening Standard, 10 October [online]. Available at: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/ london/record-tourist-boom-boosts-london-8871397.html [Accessed 20 May 2014].
- Rapoza, K. (2012) ‘The empire strikes back: U.K. beats U.S. in “soft power”, survey says’. Forbes, 18 November [online]. Available at: http://www.lorbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/11/18/the-empire-strikes-back-u-k-beats-u-s-in-soft-power-survey-says/ [Accessed 20 February 2014]
- Rayner, G. (2012) ‘Greenwich Park “ruined” by London 2012 equestrian events, campaigners claim’. The Telegraph, 26 December [online]. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/london-2012/9760773/Gr... k-ruined-by-London-2012-equestrian-events-campaigners-claim.htm [Accessed 03 February 2014].
- Smart, B. (2005) The sport star: Modem sport and the cultural economy of sporting celebrity. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. (2011) Events and urban regeneration. Abingdon: Routledge, Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- The Telegraph (2012a) ‘London sucks the life out ol Britain — Northern MP in astonishing rant against capital’. The Telegraph, 3 May [online]. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9243256/London-sucks-the-l... out-ol-Britain-Northern-MP-in-astonishing-rant-against-capital.html [Accessed 9 February 2014].
- The Telegraph (2012b) ‘London 2012: What the world thought ol the opening ceremony’. The Telegraph, 28 July [online]. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/london-2012/9434319/London-2012-What-the-world-thought-ol-the-opening-ceremony.html [Accessed 2 February 2014].
- Topping, A. (2012) ‘London 2012: Olympics success hailed by politicians’. The Guardian, 13 August [online]. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ 2012/aug/13/politicians-success-london-olympics [Accessed 4 February 2014]
- Ward, S. V. (1998) Selling places: The marketing and promotion of towns and cities 1850–2000. London: E and FN Spon.Google Scholar