Chinese Investment in the Greater Europe Zone
Investments are financial flows that purchase financial and productive assets. Foreign investments are investments in enterprises that operate outside the domestic territory of the investor. These can be classified in two ways: (1) foreign portfolio investments are financial flows that enter equity or bond markets, possibly for a short time, and market prices are usually a fundamental driver for the foreign investor; (2) foreign direct investments (FDIs) involve significant foreign ownership (at least 10 per cent of voting stock) of productive assets. Inward FDI is defined as capital entering an economy attracted by favourable economic factors; outward FDI (sometimes noted as outward direct investment or ODI/OFDI) is a flow of capital moving abroad.
KeywordsForeign Direct Investment Asian Development Bank Outward Foreign Direct Investment Chinese Investment Bilateral Investment Treaty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benassy-Quere, A., Coupet, M. and Mayer, T. (2005), ‘Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment’, CEPII, WP No. 2005-05.Google Scholar
- Bevan, A. and Estrin, S. (2000), ‘The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Transition Economies’, William Davidson Institute, WP No. 342, October.Google Scholar
- Botric, V. and Skuflic, L. (2005), ‘Main Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in the South East European Countries’, Second Europhrame Conference on Economic Policy Issues in the European Union — ‘Trade, FDI and Relocation: Challenges for Employment and Growth in the European Union?’, 3 June, Vienna.Google Scholar
- Campos, N. and Kinoshita, Y. (2003), ‘Why Does FDI Go Where It Goes? New Evidence from the Transition Economies’, International Monetary Fund, Working Paper No. 03/228.Google Scholar
- Davies, K. (2010), ‘Outward FDI from China and Its policy context’, Columbia FDI Profiles, Vale Columbia Center on Sustainable International Investment.Google Scholar
- Export-Import Bank of China, Annual Reports 2008 and 2010.Google Scholar
- Information Office of the State Council, The People’s Republic of China (2011), White Paper on China’s Foreign Aid.Google Scholar
- Kolstad, I. and Wiig, A. (2009), ‘What determines Chinese outward FDI?’, Chr. Michelsen Institute Working Paper, WP 2009:3.Google Scholar
- Meyer, K. (2005), ‘Foreign Direct Investment in Emerging Economies’, Policy Discussion Paper, Templeton College, Oxford, December.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Commerce, People’s Republic of China (2011), 2010 Statistical Bulletin of China’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China, Department of European-Central Asian Affairs, http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/. Website accessed on 30 June 2011.
- Mlachila, M. and Takebe, M. (2011), ‘FDI from BRICs to LICs: Emerging Growth Driver?’, International Monetary Fund, Working Paper No. 11/178. Neumayer, E. and Spess, L. (2005), ‘Do bilateral investment treaties increase foreign direct investment to developing countries?’, World Development, vol. 33(10), pp.1567–1585.Google Scholar
- OECD Investment Compact (2006), ‘Moldova — Foreign Direct Investment and Export Development — Vision and Strategy: 2006–2010’.Google Scholar
- TAC (2005–2010), ‘EU-China Economic Observatory’, unpublished reports for the European Commission — DG Relex (in particular Issue 6, December 2007; Issue 8, June 2008; Issue 10, June 2009 and Issue 13, December 2010).Google Scholar
- Tondel, L. (2001), ‘Foreign Direct Investment during Transition. Determinants and Patterns in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union’, Chr. Michelsen Institute Working Paper, WP 2001:9.Google Scholar
- UNCTAD (2009), ‘The Role of International Investment Agreements in Attracting Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries’, UNCTAD Series on International Investment Policies for Development, UNCTAD/DIAE/IA/2009/5.Google Scholar
- UNESCAP (2009), ‘Directory of Trade Promotion-Development Organizations of Developing Countries and Areas in Asia and the Pacific’, ST/ESCAP/2533.Google Scholar