Energy issues are at the forefront of the political discourse as never before. In a world of $100-per-barrel oil, potential peak oil, and with climate change looming ever larger on the horizon, there is an obvious need for a fresh and critical look at energy politics. The idea of this book, stemming from a conference on renewables and energy security in Japan, East Asia and Norway, hosted by the Japan Program at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in 2011, has been to blend not only perspectives on renewable energy and energy security, but also those of the natural and the social sciences. Building on the conference, this book has developed into a volume on renewables and energy security in Japan, China and Northern Europe. It offers a distinctive blend of theories, methodologies and geographical cases. One of its cornerstones is the notion that energy security and renewable energy, while often treated as distinct in the general literature, are inextricably linked. Blending perspectives of the natural and the social sciences has also been important. Too long has the field of energy been dominated by a discourse of technical problem-solving. But few areas are now more political. Energy is becoming a strategic resource to an extent that we have not seen since the 1970s oil crises. There is growing concern that energy is not just another tradable commodity in a smoothly functioning and apolitical and global liberal market economy, but that in the future its abundance and ubiquity cannot be taken for granted.
KeywordsRenewable Energy Wind Turbine Wind Power Energy Policy International Energy Agency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, M. (2012) ‘Japan’s energy future’, Powering ahead, Economist Intelligence Unit, http://www.economistinsights.com/energy/analysis/powering-ahead (home page), date accessed November 11, 2013.
- Cleantechnica (2012) ‘The Road to 2020’ (Part I) – Energiewende, April 5, 2012, http://cleantechnica.com/2012/04/05/energiewende-road-to-2020/.
- CNNMoney (2013) ‘Fortune Global 500’, http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/, date accessed October 21, 2013.
- Economist, The (2012a) ‘Solar tariffs: Sunspots’, May 26, 2012, http://www.economist.com/node/21555958.
- Economist, The (2012b) ‘Special report: Natural gas’, July 14, 2012, http://www.econo-mist.com/node/21558432.
- Economist, The (2013a) ‘The father of fracking’, August 3, 2013, http://www.econo-mist.com/news/business/21582482-few-businesspeople-have-done-much-change-world-george-mitchell-father.
- Economist, The (2013b) ‘Briefing: European utilities: How to lose half a trillion euros’, 12 October 2013, http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21587782-europes-electricity-providers-face-existential-threat-how-lose-half-trillion-euros.
- Heinberg, R. (2013) Snake Oil (Santa Rosa, CA: Post Carbon Institute).Google Scholar
- IEA (2007) World Energy Outlook 2007 (Paris: OECD/IEA).Google Scholar
- IEA (2012) World Energy Outlook 2012: Executive Summary (Paris: OECD/IEA).Google Scholar
- Jaffe, A.M. and E. Morse (2013) ‘The End of OPEC’, Foreign Policy, 16 October 2013, http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/10/16/the_End_of_opec_america_Energy_oil?
- Japan Times (2007) ‘All cost bets off if Big One hits nuke plant’, September 5, 2007, http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070905f1.html.
- Klare, M. (2008) Rising Powers, Shrinking Planet (New York: Metropolitan Books).Google Scholar
- Klare, M. (2012) ‘A tough-oil world’, Asia Times, March 15, 2012, http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/NC15Dj02.html.
- Klare, M. (2013) ‘Fossil fuel euphoria’, Asia Times, October 17, 2013, http://atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/GECON-01–171013.html.
- LMD [Le Monde Diplomatique] (2013) ‘The great oil swindle’, March 9, 2013, http://mondediplo.com/2013/03/09gaz.
- McNeill, J.R. (2001) An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World (New York: W.W. Norton) .Google Scholar
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) (2010) Energy in Japan 2010, http://www.enecho.meti.go.jp/topics/energy-in-japan/english2010.pdf, date accessed July 3, 2011.
- Moe, E. (2007) Governance, Growth and Global Leadership (Aldershot: Ashgate).Google Scholar
- Powermag (2012) ‘ The U.S. Military Gets Smart Grid’, January 1, 2012, http://www.powermag.com/renewables/solar/The-U-S-Military-Gets-Smart-Grid_4228.html.
- Schumpeter, J.A. (1983) The Theory of Economic Development (London: Transaction Publishers). Google Scholar
- Shah, S. (2004) Crude (New York: Seven Stories Press).Google Scholar
- Terashima, J. (2012) ‘Japan’s energy strategy’. Powering ahead. Economist Intelligence Unit, http://www.economistinsights.com/energy/analysis/powering-ahead (home page), date accessed November 11, 2013.
- TU [Teknisk ukeblad] (2012) ‘Verden bygger 62 nye atomreaktorer’, June 23, 2012. http://www.tu.no/energi/2012/06/23/verden-bygger-62-nye-atomreaktorer.
- Voice of Russia, The (2013) ‘Shale gas industry is a “bubble” – Gazprom CEO’, 31 March 2013, http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_03_31/Shale-gas-industry-is-a-bubble-Gazprom-CEO/.
- Yergin, D. (1990) The Prize (New York: Free Press).Google Scholar
- Yergin, D. (2011) The Quest (London: Allen Lane).Google Scholar