Young People and Development: The Role of Global Youth Work in Engagement and Learning
In this chapter I will outline the definitions and principles of what is known as global youth work and relate this to learning and development in the wider youth work sector. 1 will also look at how global youth work has been interpreted and what makes it distinctive, in terms of its approach, agenda and intended outcomes; be it young people’s personal, social and political development or awareness of global development issues. Historically many local government youth services and voluntary and community sector organisations in the UK and Ireland have explored global issues with young people through international work, including youth exchanges, links and intercultural learning as distinct curriculum areas. However this work has always been constrained by the limited funding available and a lack of understanding of the value of this work as a core activity at a strategic level within the youth work and development education (DE) sectors and government departments. This chapter will identify some of the perceived differences between global youth work and school-based development education in regard to aims and methodology, in particular youth work’s principle of ‘Voluntarism’ and a desire to be ‘action focused’ involving the active participation of young people in curriculum design and delivery.
KeywordsArena Sonal Folk Lewin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, P. (2011) A Mapping of Global Youth Work, London: Think global.Google Scholar
- Adams, P. (2014) ‘Young people and development: The role of global youth work in engagement and learning’ in S McCioskey (ed.) Development Education in Policy and Practi.ce, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Arnstein, S R (1969) ‘A ladder of citizen participation’ Journal of the American Planning Association, 35(4, July 1969, pp. 216–224.Google Scholar
- Baisleer, J. (2013) Youth Working with Girls and Young Women in Community Settings, Surrey: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Boom, D and McColluni, A. (1995),4 World of Difference — Making Global Connections in Youth Work, London: DEA.Google Scholar
- Butters, S and Newell, S. (1978) Realities of Training: A Review of the Training of Adults Who Volunteer to Work With Young People in the Youth and Community Services, Leicester: National Youth Bureau.Google Scholar
- Centre for Social Action (2007) How Youth Action Volunteering Enhances the Social Capital of Young People and Their Communities, Licester: De Moni fori University.Google Scholar
- Chauhan, V. (1939) Beyond Steel Bands ‘n’Samosas: Black Young People in the Youth Service, Leicester: National Youth Bureau.Google Scholar
- Commonwealth Youth Exchange Council (CYEC) (2013) Youth Exchanges, available: http://www.cyec.org.uk/ exchanges /youth-exchanges (accessed 13 March 2013).
- Crosby, M. (2005) ‘Working with people as an informal educator’ in L Deer Richardson and M Wolfe, Principles and Practice of informal Education, London: Routledge Farmer, p. 54.Google Scholar
- Davies, B. (1999) The History of the Youth Sendee in England, Leicester: Youth Work Press.Google Scholar
- Development Education Association (DEA) (2002) Young People in a Global Society, London: DEA.Google Scholar
- DEA (2007) Global Youth Work Practice Training and Resource Manual, London: DEA.Google Scholar
- DEA (2010a) Connect, Challenge, Change — A Practical Guide to Global Youth Work, London: DEA.Google Scholar
- DEA (2010b) Global Youth Action Evaluation Summary, available: http://www.ihirik-globa1.org.uk/resources/iiem.asp?d=2113 (accessed 13 March 2013).
- Department of Children and Youth Affairs (2001) Youth Work Act, available: http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuineiits%2Fyoulhaffa%2Fpolicics.htm (accessed 12 May 2013).
- Devlin, M and Tierney, H. (2010) Standpoints Altitudes of Young People and Youth Workers to Development and Global Justice Issues, Dublin: National Youth Council of Ireland.Google Scholar
- Dewey, j (1933) How We Think. A Restatement of the Relation of Reflective Thinking to the Educative Process (Revised edition), Boston: D. C. Heath.Google Scholar
- Elias, L. (1976) Conscientization and Deschooling: Freirc’s and Illich’s Proposals for Reshaping Society, Philadelphia: Westminster Press.Google Scholar
- Farthing, R. (2012) ‘Why youth parti dpa lion? Some justifications and critiques of youth participation using New Labour’s youth policies as a case study’ Youth and PoJiq; No. 109, September 2012, pp. 71–97, available: http://www.youthandpo1icy.org/ (accessed 12 May 2013).
- Freire, P. (1972) Pedagog1 of the Oppressed, Harmondswortb: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Mends of the Earth (2013) What We Stand for, available: http://www.foe.eo.uk/ what.we.do/about..us/friends...earth.. values... belief s.html (accessed 13 March 2013).
- Global Youth Work Partnership East Midlands (GYWPEM) (2013) available: http://www.gywpem.org.uk/Default.aspx (accessed 17 March 2013).
- Hart, R. (1992) Children’s Participation: From Tokenism to Citizenship, Florence: UNICEF International Child Development Centre.Google Scholar
- Hurley, L and Treacy, D. (1993) Models of Youth Work — Sociological Framework, Dublin: Irish Youth Work Press.Google Scholar
- Jeffs, T and Smith, M. (2005) Informal Education — Conversation, Democracy and Learning, Nottingham: Education Heretics Press.Google Scholar
- Kolb, D A (1984) Experiential Learning: Experience as the Source of Learning and Development, Engiewood Ciffs, New jersey: Prentice-Hail.Google Scholar
- Lewin, K. (1951) Field Theory in Social Sciences. London: Harper Row.Google Scholar
- Learning and Skills Improvement. Service (2012) Youth Work National Occupational Standards, available: http://www.excellencegateway.org.uk/node/ 61 (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Make Poverty History (2005), available: http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/ takeaction/ (accessed 13 Mardi 2013).
- McCrea, N and Sheehan, J. (2008) ‘Going global: Good practice guidelines for development education in youth work’ Youth Studies Ireland, 3(1, pp. 52–67.Google Scholar
- Merton, B et al. (2004) An Evaluation of the Impact of Youth Work in England, Youth Afairs Unit De Montfort University, Research Report RR606, Leicester: De Montfort Expertise Ltd.Google Scholar
- National Youth Agency (2007) The NYA Guide to Youth Work in England, available:http://nya.org.uk/cai alogue/workforce~l/nya~guide-to-\7outh-work-and-youih-services (accessed 10 January 2014), p. 5.
- NYA (2013) What is Youth Work? available: http://www.nya.org.uk/workforce-arid — training/want to-work-in-youth-work# What is youth work? (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Ord, J. (2007) Youth Work Process, Product and Practice: Creating an Authentic Curriculum in Work with Young People, Exeter: Russell House Publishing.Google Scholar
- QAA (2009) Subject Benchmark Statement: Youth and Community Work, available: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/Publications/InformationAndGuidance/Pages/Subject-benchmark-statement-Youth-and-community-work.aspx (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Rogers, C. (1969) Freedom to Learn: A View of What Education Might Become, Columbus, OH: Merrill.Google Scholar
- Saliah, M. (2008) The State of Global Youth Work in Higher Education Institution (HEIs), Leicester: De Montfort University.Google Scholar
- Scouts (2013) What We Do, available: http://scouts.org.uk/home/ (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Think Global (2013) Global Dimension. the World in Your Classroom, available:http://g1obaldimension.org.uk/ (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Williamson, H. (2007) ‘Youth work in a changing policy environment’ in R Harrison et al. (ed.) Leading Work With Young People, London: Sage, p. 38.Google Scholar
- Woodcraft Folk (2013) About Woodcraft Folk, available: http://woodcraft.org.uk/ (accessed 1 3 March 2013).
- Woolley, G (2009) ‘The global dimension in youth work: A conceptual model’. Global Education Derby, available: http://files.invosis.com/ged/ 20110203013740683_wrhqrpmtiwj.pdf (accessed 22 January 2014).
- Woolley, G and Valdivia, K. (2011) The Processes and Outcomes of Global. Youth Work, available: http://www.gywpem.org.uk/Downloads.aspx (accessed 17 March 2013).
- YCare International (2013) About Global Youth Work, avliable: http://www.ycareinternational.org/S10/what-is-global-youth-work/about-global-youth-work.html (accessed 13 March 2013).