Regional Integration Support by the EU in Asia: Aims and Prospects
This chapter examines the aims and scope of the EU’s regional integration support (RIS) and the achievements it has had in Southeast Asia. ASEAN invited the EU to support its aim to achieve ASEAN economic integration in September 2003. In parallel to this programme, ASEAN has undergone considerable transformation. It has revamped its institutional structure and transformed in ways that invite comparisons to the EU. Naturally, the fact that the EU has a policy of RIS, and that ASEAN member states express their commitment to create an economic community along the lines of the European Economic Community (EEC) raises the question as to whether the EU acts as a ‘driver’ of regional integration in Southeast Asia. This chapter argues that not the EU rather than economic competition from China is the real driver behind changes along the lines of the EU.
KeywordsRegional Integration Economic Integration European Economic Community Policy Dialogue ASEAN Member
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ASEAN (2008) ASEAN Charter, ASEAN Secretariat.Google Scholar
- ASEAN pursues EU-style regional integration (2007) International Harold Tribune,12 January.Google Scholar
- ASEAN Secretariat (2001) The ASEAN Way and the Rule of Law, Address by Rodolfo C. Severino, Secretary-General of ASEAN, at the International Law Conference on ASEAN Legal Systems and Regional Integration, Kuala Lumpur, 3 September 2001, viewed 6 July 2012. http://www.aseansec.org/2849.htm%3E.
- Barnett, M. and Finnemore, M. (2005) Rules for the World: International Organization in Global Politics, Cornell University Press, Ithaca and London.Google Scholar
- Beeson, M. (2001) Reconfiguring East Asia: Regional Institutions and Organizations after the Crisis, Curzon, Richmond.Google Scholar
- Bilal, S. (2005) ‘Can the EU Be a Model of Regional Integration? Risks and Challenges for Developing Countries’, paper presented to International Conference on Globalisation: Overcoming exclusion, strengthening inclusion, Dakar, Senegal, http://www.ecdpm.org/Web_ECDPM/Web/Content/Download.nsf/0/52D667 FD6C95057DC125719D004B65F6/$FILE/Bilal — Can EU be a model of RI Draft for comments.pdf%3E.
- Börzel, T.A. and Risse, T. (2009) Diffusing (Inter-) Regionalism, KFG The Transformative Power of Europe, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Chin, K.W. (2010) Personal Interview by Anja Jetschke with Dr Chin Kin Wah, Deputy Director of the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), 8 September.Google Scholar
- Commission, E. (2003) Communication from the Commission: A New Partnership with South East Asia. COM (2003) 399/4, European Commission, Brussels.Google Scholar
- Commission of the European Communities (1995a) European Community Support for Regional Economic Integration Efforts among Developing Countries: Communicatin from the Commission. COM(95) 219 final, European Union, Brussels.Google Scholar
- — (1995b) Free Trade Areas: An Appraisal. Communication from the Commission. Sec(95) 322 final, European Union, Brussels.Google Scholar
- — (2002) Trade and Development: Assisting Developing Countries to Benefit from Trade. Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament. COM (2002) 513 final, European Union, Brussels.Google Scholar
- DMI Associates (2012) ASEAN-EU Programme for Regional Integration Support (APRIS) — TECHNICAL Training Programme, http://www.dmiassociates.com/dmi/EN/asean-eu-programme-for-regional-integration-support-apris-technical-training-programme%3E.
- Doidge, M. (2011) The European Union and Interregionalism: Patterns of Engagement, Ashgate Publishing, Farnham, Surrey.Google Scholar
- EU Commission (1994) Towards a New Asia Strategy: Communication from the Commission to the Council. COM (94) 314 final, 13 July 1994 — Archive of European Integration, EU Commission, European Commission, Brussels.Google Scholar
- — (2009) Evaluation of EC Co-Operation with ASEAN: Final Report, European Commission, Brussels.Google Scholar
- EuropeAid (2012) Supporting Regional Integration, viewed 26 May 2012. http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/asia/regional-cooperation/support-regional-integration/support_en.htm%3E.
- European Parliament, European Council & European Commission (2006) ‘Joint statement by the Council and the representatives of the governments of the member states meeting within the Council, the European Parliament and the Commission on European Union development policy: “The European Consensus”. 2006/C 46/01’, Official Journal of the European Union, vol. C 46, no. 1, pp. 1–19.Google Scholar
- Europäischer Wirtschafts- und Sozialausschuss (2011) ‘Stellungnahme des Europäischen Wirtschafts- und Sozialausschusses zum Thema “Die Beziehungen EU/ASEAN” (2011/C 21/04). Berichterstatter: Claudio CAPPELLINI’, Amtsblatt der Europäischen Union, vol. C, no. 21, pp. 21–25.Google Scholar
- Fawcett, L. L. E. and Hurrell, A. (1995) Regionalism in World Politics: Regional Organization and International Order, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Goh De No (2012) ‘Yudhoyono: Asean Should Take Cue from EU on Integration The Brunei Times’, viewed 29 June 2012, http://www.bt.com.bn/business-national/2011/05/06/yudhoyono-asean-should-take-cue-eu-integration%3E.
- Interview 05–2010 (2010) Personal Interview by Anja Jetschke with former ASEAN Secretary General, 10 September.Google Scholar
- Interview 18–2010 (2010) Personal Interview by Anja Jetschke with high-ranking ASEAN official, 30 September.Google Scholar
- — (2010) Do Regional Organizations Travel? European Integration, Diffusion and Regional Organization in Asia, KFG Working Paper Series, KFG, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Khong, Y. F. and Nesadurai, H. (2007) ‘Hanging Together, Institutional Design and Cooperation in Southeast Asia: AFTA and the ARF’, in A. Acharya and A. I. Johnston (eds.), Crafting Cooperation: Regional International Institutions in Comparative Perspective, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 32–82.Google Scholar
- Lim, H.-C. and Hwang, S.-M. (2011) ‘The Rise of Asia in a Global Context: Implications for Regional Community Building’, paper presented to 2011 International Conference Global Challenges in Asia: New Development Model and Regional Community Building, 20–21 October 2011, Seoul, South Korea, http://snuac.snu.ac.kr/upload/new_board/CONFERENCE_2_617.pdf%3E.
- Lombaerde, P. and Schulz, M. (2009) ‘Introduction’, in P. Lombaerde and M. Schulz (eds.), The EU and World Regionalism: The Makability of Regions in the 21st Century, Ashgate Publishers, Aldershot, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- — (2012) ‘Introduction’, in P. Lombaerde and M. Schulz (eds.), The EU and World Regionalism: The Makability of Regions in the 21st Century, Ashgate Publishers, Aldershot, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Mercereau, B. (2005) ‘FDI Flows to Asia: Did the Dragon Crowd Out the Tigers?’, IMF Working Paper Series, no. 05/189, http://www.zunia.org/uploads/media/…/wp051891.pdf%3E.
- Pietrangeli, G. (2012) ‘Supporting Regional Integration and Cooperation Worldwide: An Overview of the European Union approach’, in P. S. De Lombaerde (ed.), The EU and World Regionalism: The Makability of Regions in the 21st Century, Ashgate Publishers, Aldershot, pp. 9–44.Google Scholar
- Robina, Z. E. (2011) ‘Neues Selbstbewusstsein der ASEAN-Staaten’, viewed 10 February 2012, http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,6613149,00.html%3E.
- Rogers, E. (1983) Diffusion of Innovations, 3rd edn, Free Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Schwarz, A. and Villinger, R. (2004) ‘Integrating Southeast Asian Economies’, The McKinsey Quarterly, no. 1, pp. 37–47, http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Integrating_Southeast_Asias_economies_1392.
- Simmons, B. and Elkins, Z. (2004) ‘The Globalization of Liberalization: Policy Diffusion in the International Political Economy’, International Organization, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 171–189.Google Scholar
- Tay, S. S., Estanislao, J. P. and Soesastro, H. (eds.) (2001) Reinventing ASEAN, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Termsak, C. (2009) ‘Institutional Reform: One Charter, Three Communities, Many Challenges’, in D. Emmerson (ed.), Hard Choices: Security, Democracy, and Regionalism in Southeast Asia, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore, pp. 91–131.Google Scholar
- Tong, S. Y., Chong, C. and Keng, S. (2010) ‘China-ASEAN Free Trade Area in 2010: A Regional Perspective’, EAI Background Brief No. 519, http://www.eai.nus.edu.sg/BB519.pdf%3E.
- Wong, R. (forthcoming) ‘Model Power or Reference Point?: The EU and the ASEAN Charter’, Cambridge Review of International Affairs.Google Scholar
- Yeo, L. H. (2008) ‘EU-ASEAN Relations and Policy-Learning’, in R. Balme and B. Bridges (eds.), Europe-Asia Relations, Palgrave MacMillan, New York, pp. 83–102.Google Scholar