The Moldavian SSR (in 1990 renamed Moldova) was formed by the union of part of the former Moldavian ASSR (organized 12 Oct. 1924), formerly included in the Ukrainian SSR, and the areas of Bessarabia (ceded by Romania to the USSR, 28 June 1940) with a mainly Moldovan population. As from 2 Aug. 1940 the Moldavian SSR included the following regions of the former Moldavian ASSR: Grigoriopol, Dubasari, Camenca, Rybnitsa, Slobozia and Tiraspol, and the following districts of Bessarabia: Beltsi, Bender (Tighina), Chişinau (then Kishinev), Cahul, Orhey and Soroca. In Dec. 1991 Moldova became a member of the CIS, a decision ratified by parliament in April 1994. Fighting took place in 1992 between government forces and separatists in the (largely Russian and Ukrainian) area east of the River Nistru (Transnistria).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.