Congo, Republic of the
The Portuguese first reached the mouth of the Congo in the 15th century. Loango, in the Kouilou region, was one of the largest ports connected with slavery in the 18th century. Late in the 19th century Sir Henry Stanley and Savorgnan de Brazza (after whom the capital was named) multiplied the number of explorations and investigations. First occupied by France in 1882, the Congo became a territory of French Equatorial Africa from 1910–58, and then a member state of the French Community. Between 1940 and 1944, thanks to Equatorial Africa’s allegiance to General de Gaulle, he named Brazzaville the capital of the Empire and Liberated France. Independence was granted in 1960.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Thompson, V. and Adloff, R., Historical Dictionary of the People’s Republic of the Congo. 2nd ed. Metuchen (NJ), 1984Google Scholar