Key Historical Events. British settlers fended off Spanish occupation attempts from the 1630s. In 1780 the UK appointed a superintendent, and in 1862 the settlement was declared a colony, subordinate to Jamaica. It became a colony in 1884. Self-government was attained in 1964, independence on 21 Sept. 1981.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dobson, D., A History of Belize. Belize, 1973Google Scholar
- Fernandez, J., Belize: Case Study for Democracy in Central America. Aldershot, 1989Google Scholar
- Grant, C. H., The Making of Modern Belize. CUP, 1976Google Scholar
- Wright, P. and Coutts, B. E., Belize. [Bibliography] 2nd ed. Oxford and Santa Barbara, 1993Google Scholar
- National statistical office: Central Statistical Office, Belmopan.Google Scholar