HISTORY. Montserrat was discovered by Columbus in 1493 and colonized by Britain in 1632 who brought Irish settlers to the island. Montserrat formed part of the federal colony of the Leeward Islands from 1871 until 1956, when it became a separate colony following the dissolution of the Federation. The island’s Constitution came into force in 1960 and the title Administrator was changed to that of Governor in 1971. On 17 Sept. 1989 hurricane ‘Hugo’ caused damage estimated at US$330m.
- Population Census 1980. MontserratGoogle Scholar
- Overseas Trade 1983. Montserrat GovernmentGoogle Scholar
- Vital Statistics Report. Montserrat Government, 1983Google Scholar
- Statistical Digest 1984. Montserrat GovernmentGoogle Scholar
- Fergus, H.A., Montserrat: Emerald Isle of the Caribbean. London, 1983Google Scholar
- Library: Public Library, Plymouth. Librarian. Miss Ruth Allen.Google Scholar