On 10 June 1946 Italy became a republic on the announcement by the Court of Cassation that a majority of the voters at the referendum held on 2 June had voted for a republic. The final figures, announced on 18 June, showed: For a republic, 12,718,641 (54–3% of the valid votes cast, which numbered 23,437,143); for the retention of the monarchy, 10,718,502 (45–7%); invalid and contested, 1,509,735. Total 24,946,878, or 89–1% of the registered electors, who numbered 28,005,449. For the results of the polling in the 13 leading cities, see The Statesman’s Year-Book, 1951, p. 1175. Voting was compulsory, open to both men and women 21 years of age or older, including members of the Civil Service and the Armed Forces; former active Fascists and a few other categories were excluded.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Statistical Information: The Istituto Centrale di Statistica (16 Via Cesare Balbo 00100 Rome) was set up by law of 9 July 1926 as the central institute in charge of census and all statistical information. President: Prof. Guido Mario Rey. Director-General: Vineenzo Siesto. Its publications include:Google Scholar
- Annuario statistico italiano. 1987, Compendia statistico italiano. 1988, Bolletlino mensilc di statistica. Monthly, from 1950, Staitstiche industriali. 1987, Stalistiche demografiche. 1987, Statistica agrarie. 1984. Statistico della navigazione marittima. 1988, Statistico del commercio interna. 1988, Statistica annuale del commercio con l’estera. 1988, Statistica del commercio con l’estero. Quarterly. Statistiche del lavoro. 1986, Censimento generale dell’agricoltura. 1982, Censimento generale della popolazione. 1981. Vol. I. II and III, Censimento generale dell’industria e del commercio. 1981 Sommario di statistiche storiche. 1926–1985.Google Scholar
- Italy. Documents and Notes. Servizi delle Informazioni, Rome. 1952 ff.Google Scholar
- Italian Books and Periodicals. Bimonthly from 1958Google Scholar
- Banco di Roma, Review of the Economic Condition in Italy (in English). Bimonthly, 1947 ff.Google Scholar
- Credito Italiano, The Italian Economic Situation. Bimonthly. Milan, from June 1961 (in Italian), from June 1962 (in English)Google Scholar
- Compendio Economico Italiano. Rome, Unione Italiana delle Camere di Commercio. Annually from 1954Google Scholar
- Clark, M., Modern Italy 1871–1982. London, 1984Google Scholar
- Finer, S. E. and Mastropaolo, A. (eds.), The Italian Party System, 1945–80. London, 1985Google Scholar
- Grindrod, M., The Rebuilding of Italy 1945–55. R. Inst, of Int. Affairs, 1955Google Scholar
- Nichols, P., Italia, Italia. London, 1974Google Scholar
- Woolfe, S. J. (ed.) The Rebirth of Italy. 1943–50. New York, 1972Google Scholar
- National Library: Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale Vittorio Emanuele II Viale Castro Pretorio, Rome. Director: Dr L. M. Crisari.Google Scholar