Madagascar was discovered by the Portuguese, Diego Diaz, in 1500. The island was unified under the Imérina monarchy between 1797 and 1861, but French claims to a protectorate led to hostilities culminating in the establishment of a protectorate on 30 Sept. 1895. Madagascar became a French Colony on 6 Aug. 1896 and the monachy was abolished on 26 Feb. 1897.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Statistical Information: The Service de Statistique Générale in Antananarivo published theGoogle Scholar
- Bulletin mensuel de Madagascar (from 1971); continuation of the trimestrial Bulletin de statistique générale (1949–71). the Revue de Madagascar, the Madagascar à travers ses provinces (latest issue, 1953) and the Statistiques du Commerce Extérieur de Madagascar.Google Scholar
- Bulletin de l’Académie Malgache (from 1902)Google Scholar
- Brandt, H., Guide to Madagascar. Chalfont St Peter, 1988Google Scholar
- Brown, M., Madagascar Rediscovered. London, 1978Google Scholar
- Deschamps, H., Histoire de Madagascar. Paris. 4th éd. 1972Google Scholar