The Gilbert and Ellice Islands were proclaimed a protectorate in 1892 and annexed (at the request of the native governments) as the Gilbert and Ellice Islands Colony on lONov. 1915 (effective on 12 Jan. 1916). On 1 Oct. 1975 the former Ellice Islands severed its constitutional links with the Gilbert Islands and took a new name Tuvalu.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Kiribati. Aspects of History. Univ. of South Pacific, 1979Google Scholar
- Bailey, E., The Christmas Island Story. London, 1977Google Scholar
- Cowell, R., Structure of Gilbertese. Suva, 1950Google Scholar
- Grimble, Sir Arthu., A Pattern of Islands. London, 1953.—Return to the Islands, London, 1957Google Scholar
- Mande, H. E., Of Islands and Men. London, 1968.—Evolution of the Gilbertesc Boti. Suva, 1977Google Scholar
- Sabatier, E., Astride the Equator. Melbourne, 1978Google Scholar
- Whincup, T., Nareau’s Nation. London, 1979Google Scholar