History. For the history of Syria from 1920 to 1946 see The Statesman’s Year-Book, 1957, pp. 1408 f. Complete independence was achieved on 12 Apr. 1946. Syria merged with Egypt to form the United Arab Republic from 2 Feb. until 29 Sept. 1961, when independence was resumed following a coup the previous day. Lieut.-Gen. Hafez al-Assad became Prime Minister following the fifth coup of that decade on 13 Nov. 1970, and assumed the Presidency on 22 Feb. 1971.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Census of Population I960. 15 vols. Ministry of Planning, Damascus, 1961–65Google Scholar
- The Economic Development of Syria. International Bank Report. Baltimore, 1955Google Scholar
- Asfour, E. Y., Syria: Development and Monetary Policy. Harvard Univ. Press, 1959Google Scholar
- Barthélemy, A., Dictionnaire arabe-français. Dialectes de Syrie. 4 vols. Paris, 1935–50Google Scholar
- Hourani, A. H., Syria and Lebanon. 2nd ed. R. Inst. of Int. Affairs, 1954Google Scholar
- Petran, T., Syria. London, 1972Google Scholar