The Principality of Liechtenstein, situated between the Austrian province of Vorarlberg and the Swiss cantons of St Gallen and Graubünden, is a sovereign state whose history dates back to 3 May 1342, when Count Hartmann HI became ruler of the county of Vaduz. Additions were later made to the count’s domains, and by 1434 the territory reached its present boundaries. It consists of the two former counties of Schellenberg and Vaduz (until 1806 immediate fiefs of the Roman Empire). The former in 1699 and the latter in 1712 came into the possession of the house of Liechtenstein and, by diploma of 23 Jan. 1719, granted by the Emperor Charles VI, the two counties were constituted as the Principality of Liechtenstein.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Statistical Information: Press and Information Service, Vaduz. Chief: Walter Kranz.Google Scholar
- Rechenschaftsbericht der fürstlichen liechtensteinischen Regierung. Vaduz. Annual, from 1922Google Scholar
- Jahrbücher der Historischen Vereins. Vaduz. Annual since 1900Google Scholar
- The Principality of Liechtenstein. Press and Information Service, Vaduz, 1978Google Scholar
- The Liechtenstein Economy. Press and Information Service, Vaduz, 1978Google Scholar
- Batliner, E. H., Das Geld- und Kreditwesen des Fürstentums Liechtenstein. Winterthur, 1959Google Scholar
- d’Havrincourt, H., Liechtenstein. Lausanne, 1964Google Scholar
- Greene, B., Liechtenstein, Valley of Peace. Vaduz, 1967Google Scholar
- Kranz, W., Principality of Liechtenstein—Documentary Handbook. Vaduz, 1973Google Scholar
- Malin, G., Kunstführer Liechtenstein. Berne, 1977Google Scholar
- Steger, B., Fürst und Landtag nach Liechtensteinischen Recht. Vaduz, 1950.—A Survey of Liechtenstein History. Vaduz, 1970Google Scholar