HISTORY. For the history of Syria from 1920 to 1946 see The Statesman’s Year-Book, 1957, pp. 1408 f. For the union with Egypt concluded on 1 Feb. 1958, see The Statesman’s Year-Book, 1961, pp. 1527 ff. On 28 Sept. 1961 a national revolution broke out, and on 5 Oct. President Nasser acknowledged the dissolution of the union. Syria was re-admitted to the United Nations (13 Oct.) and the Arab League.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Census of Population 1960. 15 vols. Ministry of Planning, Damascus, 1961–65Google Scholar
- The Economic Development of Syria. International Bank Report. Baltimore, 1955Google Scholar
- Asfour, E. Y., Syria: Development and Monetary Policy. Harvard Univ. Press, 1959Google Scholar
- Barthélémy, A., Dictionnaire arabe-français. Dialectes de Syrie. 4 vols. Paris, 1935–50Google Scholar
- Hourani, A. H., Syria and Lebanon. 2nd ed. R. Inst, of Int. Affairs, 1954Google Scholar
- Petran, T., Syria, London, 1972Google Scholar