Basutoland first received the protection of Britain in 1868 at the request of Moshesh, the first paramount chief. In 1871 the territory was annexed to the Cape Colony, but in 1884 it was restored to the direct control of the British Government through the High Commissioner for South Africa.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Statistical Information. Bureau of Statistics, P.O.B. 455, Masera, Lesotho.Google Scholar
- Lesotho: Report for 1966. Maseru, 1967Google Scholar
- Basutoland, Bechuanaiand Protectorate and Swaziland. Report of an Economic Survey Mission. HMSO, 1960Google Scholar
- Ashton, H., The Basuto. 2nd ?d. OUP, 1967Google Scholar
- Hailey, Lord, The Republic of South Africa and the High Commission Territories. OUP, 1963Google Scholar